A Mediterranean Diet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Burnley

Regular.
Reaction score
Does anybody do this? I've been looking at this a lot lately and I think I will have a go at it. It's not a diet as in a weight loss diet, more of a change to what you eat being lots of fresh veg, fruit, olive oil, wine, nuts, fish etc... not much red meat, no processed foods.

I do have 3 Elizabeth David books to get started, breakfast is the one that I'm short of idea's on, I've bought some muesli though.

I have done it in dribs and drabs through the wife, she loves it but we drift in and out of it. It is a lot healthier than most and you may lose some weight in the process but as you say it is not a weight loss diet but a health diet

I lived on a boat on the Canal du Midi in France for eight years and during that time I got a bit obsessed by the Obituaries in the local newspapers. (Available in every café.)

In the Beziers area, I read a lot of Obituary Columns where everyone was over 90 years of age when they popped their clogs!

The problem with a “Mediterranean Diet” in the UK is not so much what you eat (usually too much processed food) but the way you live. In and around the Med, the locals seem to spend Summer daytimes inside (too hot and sunny) and Winter inside (too cold). Summer evenings, Spring and Autumn are usually spent outside, especially when dining!

As I type it is June, cold (14*C) and raining in Sleaford; which is not really conducive to dining “Al fresco”: more “stew and dumplings” weather!

Even if you live longer because of your effort, I can guarantee that it will seem longer!
:D

I applaud your effort though.
:hat:

Thats why we drift in and out of it the weather is not conducive with the type of dining and food. You can have a good run at it once the weather does finally break but it is hard in the late autumn/winter as a good English hot meal is very tempting

Greek salad is one of my favourite things on a hot day, with olive oil and balsamic glaze and a sprinkle of dried oregano. The tomatoes have to be good to do it properly, and everything at room temperature rather than from the fridge otherwise it mutes the flavours. Lovely with any light beer. When we go to Greece we do an oil farm tour a bit like you'd do a brewery tour... I'm possibly a bit sad 🤣

Last edited:
Dr Mosley recommends a version of the med diet to control blood sugars with some good results.
Apparently much better paired with intermittent fasting and cutting out most of the red wine…

Dr Mosley recommends a version of the med diet to control blood sugars with some good results.
Apparently much better paired with intermittent fasting and cutting out most of the red wine…

that’s what I’m doing at the moment. Lowish carbs important too for blood sugar

Latest posts

Back