A message to Chippy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ok bud, so I hope the wine brew is going ok. So I started a Solomon Grundy Gold Cabernet sauvignon 9 days ago mate. I ran out of beer and thought, oh sod it. Let's have a taster and see what we have. Heh, umm this is a seven day wine right?? Well apparently not. The temps have been stable for those 9 days. I opened the FV up and the head on it is'uuuge! It's still bubbling away vigourously now. Although at times you can be confused because it does **** all for an hour then starts off again. I know my meads mate, and yes this is wine. No way this is a seven day wine. May be a seven day wish. I've seen beer brews with the same size head on it after just a few days and stay constant for just say 2 or three days max. Given it's a 4kg cane sugar brew. Erm. Hmm not even going to attempt to kill it before the 15th of december tbh. How does it taste? Sec needs another glug........burp. Slightly fizzy. Gots some alchohol in it. From taste rn i'd say around 5/6% abv. I trust my taste buds over a refractometer rn. Palatable, if were a blaand. Can see this being finished by xmas eve. No body really to speak of, I don't think this is gonne be a measure of what you want if your own brew is behaving the same way but for another two months. No way a seven day brew. They need schlapping!

You've fallen foul of the dreaded manufacturers hype there Arcs. They are like politicians do not believe a word they say(7 days - TOSH), all you can do is make sure everything is right - temp etc and let it runs its course. The only consolation is that it will probably taste better for the longer fermentation.
Maybe be better to buy a couple of bottles in to make sure you have resources for Chrimbo athumb..

@Arcs

3:22 am that was a good session :laugh8:

As Mr Baron has said take no notice whatsoever of kit timings they all exaggerate, to give you an idea the Range store Red wine i started on 21/11 on a heat pad has just finished fermenting.

We used to make the Solomon Grundy wines i and i don't remember them being any faster than other kits we made.

What readings are you getting now it needs to be at least .995.

Last edited:
Back