A Newbies Guide to Dry Hopping Your Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use very large marbles (borrowed from my kids) in the Muslim bag. Just don't underestimate the amount of weight you'll need to submerge the bag. Once it's in, it's in. And you don't want to be fiddling around pulling it out to add more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting Steve. I like the oily quality of pellets but like to see the 'real article' with leaves etc
I guess its like comparing a CD to a vinyl disc, if that makes sense.?

Interesting Steve. I like the oily quality of pellets but like to see the 'real article' with leaves etc
I guess its like comparing a CD to a vinyl disc, if that makes sense.?

Yeah it was the fact that pellets were more "processed" than whole hops that put me off using them for a while, plus the fact that my hop filter couldn't cope with them. After using them though I love them, and I don't bother trying to filter them from the kettle.

Second question then is if not using a musslin bag in initial FV is there a way of filtering going into secondary FV?
One method if the hops are floating is to use a FV with a tap, and to drop the beer (through a tube so no aeration) rather than siphon it into the secondary. You could easily fit a bazooka filter behind the tap if required.

I still can't remember what went wrong when I tried dry-hopping many years ago, but not being a massive hop-head I didn't lose sleep over it and didn't bother again. But, encouraged by terrym's comments elsewhere I've decided to have another go to elevate my beer out of the 'samey' hoppiness and add a little interest. So with 5 days to go before bottling I chucked a muslin bag containg a couple of spoons and 50g of Fuggles into the FV containg a bitter brewed with Progress and Fuggles! I await this one with renewed enthusiasm.

I'm a big fan of pellet hops (though a relatively recent convert) especially for dry hopping. They are easier to use and, I think, are more efficient at imparting aroma. Just chuck them straight in the primary and leave them for a few days until they sink and syphon off to your bottling bucket. No faffing around sanitising ball bags :-? no clogging up syphon hoses and no need for a secondary.
Best technique for maximum return.

I'm still of the belief that if your hop bag floats it is because it's full of air and buoyant. Weighing it down will only pull that oxygen containing air into you beer. Oxygen is the enemy of hop aroma.

Also, dryhopping is all about exposure, getting as much of your beer I contact with beer so hop surface area is important, leaf hops and hop bags limit this.
Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Does anyone on here ever have the pellets naturally fall to the bottom without a fridge?
Im happy to give this method another go but last time I believe loose pellets caused problems

I've just stumbled on this thread and it's piqued my interest (and no I don't mean the ballbag references :lol:)
Anyway, I have an American 1 gallon demijohn for my fermenting duties with a narrow neck. What would be the best way for me to dry hop? just chuck the hop pellets in the top or put them in a bag?

Does anyone on here ever have the pellets naturally fall to the bottom without a fridge?
Im happy to give this method another go but last time I believe loose pellets caused problems

Mine usually do, although I use a "swamp cooler" sometimes (fv in some sort of tub of water). If you really want it clear you can do the same but add some frozen plastic bottles of water for a couple of days. Definitely doable without a fridge.

I used to use a bag in which to put the hops, but now I use one of these over the end of the siphon tube (mine came from a Festival kit) and just chuck the hops in as they come .
s-l1600.jpg

This gives the best of both worlds, hop particles can move freely but they are also effectively filtered out and all left in the FV when it comes to packaging time.

Warmer temperatures will generally be better than colder temperatures. As an example Brew Dog in their DIY recipe book say that 14*C

Thanks for this info. I don't quite follow the bit about temp. Isn't 14oC cold?

Thanks. Temperature is subjective hence all the arguments about work air con I'm subjected to. So, dry hopping anywhere between 21 and 14oC is within the ideal range. I don't have temp control, so therea not much I can do about it anayway!

That is exactly what I need. Thanks yet again. Also order bottle rinser and drying rack as sanatising was taking hours.

Just dry hopped. Total newbie. I mixed all the hop pellets (cascade and amarillo) in one muslin and weighed it down with ceramic beans. I boiled the muslin and beans to steralise. I've read a bit about getting the hops to mix and wondered about using two bags next time. Also, is it okay to put the hop pellets in when frozen?

I've read a bit about getting the hops to mix and wondered about using two bags next time. Also, is it okay to put the hop pellets in when frozen?
I used to use a large 12" muslin bag weighed down with SS spoons working on the basis that bigger was better. So if you think one bag is not enough, yes go for two. My only other comment concerns using muslin in that it soaks up liquid so imo nylon mesh is better, since it doesn't wet, but that may be a bit too picky. :whistle:And I always use hop pellets straight from the freezer and as far as I'm concerned there is no problem doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back