A noob Boiling question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Buffalo boiler and am doing an extract brew with grain steeping this weekend. I tried it out today just with water and got up to just about 98.5 c with what looked like some decent boiling action on the water. Left it going for 10 mins and it stayed pretty much identical so quite hopeful of it being able to do an hour when I need it.

Am I being too picky expecting the thermometer to get to 100 or does it not really matter much - it is a not very expensive meat thermometer and I suppose it is quite likely there could be some variance - does it sound good enough to go for it Saturday? I've got an Old Speckled Hen clone extract kit itching to be drinkable for Christmas.

Cheers as always.

Sorry to disagree with you @VW911 but wort is effectively a sugar solution that boils at more than 100C.
That's what I read earlier that prompted the question really - I'm just gonna dive in Saturday and see how it goes anyway. I know loads of people have used kettles like this so I am probably asking a question that doesn't need asking cheers though.

Just to note depending on where you are, the boiling point of water will drop below 100C with elevation above sea level. Not significant for most places but could be a few degrees if you're somewhere high such as the Lake District.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back