A question about beaverdale kits.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Galt

Reaction score
I made a beaverdale 6 bottle merlot and last night tried a bottle after 4 weeks. It’s was honestly bangin. I would say it was better than wineexpert kit I bought and actually cheaper. But....

What I have realised is the ratio juice to water is way higher in the 6 bottle kits that the 30 bottle kits. Basically you would need 7.5 litres in the 23 litre kit to get the same as the 6 bottle kit. However you get 6 litres in the bigger kit and 1.5 litre in the smaller kit. It’s obviously more expensive to buy 5x 6 bottle kits than buy the 30 one.

So my question is has anyone made a 30 and 6 bottle kit and noticed much difference? It just seems strange to me that the ratio for the exact same kit would be so far out on wether you buy a smaller kit than larger one.

I've never made a 6 bottle kit but whenever I've made any of the Beaverdale kits (30s) I've made it up short - about 20L instead of 23L. Even so they've only been about 12.5% ABV so I imagine if you made them up to the full amount they'd be a bit disappointing.
Very impressed with the result though. Particularly the Nebiolo and the Rojo Tinto.

Ritchies - as they used to be known -(who retail the Beaverdale range) actually list the 6 bottle kits as "trial kits".
I suspect that they have slightly higher juice content in the 6 bottle kits to get you interested in buying the larger kits...

Ritchies - as they used to be known -(who retail the Beaverdale range) actually list the 6 bottle kits as "trial kits".
I suspect that they have slightly higher juice content in the 6 bottle kits to get you interested in buying the larger kits...
Aye seems that way. But it’s like a extra 1.5 litres. That’s gonna make the taste way more different.

I always make 30 bottle kits short, but make the 6 bottle kits close to the instructions, so I suppose I (the wife!) wouldn't notice much difference...
I think that most juice suppliers are following the California Connoisseur lead by concentrating the juice content more...

How short do you make them @VW911 ? I've got one coming next week. Haven't made wine in years (like 8 eek).

Just make them up short - anything between 19 and 21 litres, rather than the 22.5l that they suggest, then carry on as per the instructions...
(To me, instructions are just a "recommendation")!

On another (more important!) note, have you still got the Daytona?

Yes I have! Just got a new front tyre which I need to get fitted, then need to get it MOT'd and then I'll be able to ride it again.. it's only done 1200 miles since new, I'm afraid to admit! Life gets in the way sometimes!

Thanks for the advice, I'll go for 21 this time around and see how it goes.

Haha the original was a very soft compound and I did a track day which messed it up pretty well! To be fair though it's bald in the middle, not so much at the edges!

Back