A question of size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanners

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Having brewed beer many years ago from cans of wart I have decided get back into brewing and have a go at full grain brewing and so I recently joined the forum for some tips. I have decided to convert a cooler box for my mash tun. I’ve purchased one from Wilkinsons for under £7 but I’m not sure If I’ve made a mistake as its only has 24 Ltr capacity and I’m not sure if it will be big enough for brewing 5 gallon batches? Having not done any AG recipes before I find it hard to visualise how much room in the mash tun will be taken up by the grain hence my question will this cooler box be big enough for my needs? I haven’t started to convert the cooler box yet and before I go ahead I just need a little bit feedback from the experts.

That size will be sufficient to produce 5 gallons of beer :thumb: If you wanted to produce 5 gallons of stronger beer say 6% + you might be pushing it to it's limits - although this is also dependant upon how efficiently you are able to mash (how much sugars you can extract from the grain you are using).

Hope thats of some help, and welcome to THBF :thumb:

Thanks for your rapid answers guys .... While on the topic of the converting the cooler, would you recomend that I try and beef up the insulation in the box? I have read a few posts where some guys have used foil and bubble rap. Ive also read that when the grain is added the box will tend to hold the temprature much better as compared with a box just filled with water alone, Im thinking just leaving the insulation and chuck a heavy blanket over it. Whats your views?

I'd go with a heavy blanket/cheap sleeping bag option first off, they move on from there if needed :thumb:

i agree with both of the above, although i did beef my coolbox up there isnt any need to. or you could try using a hot water-tank blanket.

Back