A question on potassium sorbate and bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybutler

Reaction score
Hi, i’m currently making my first cider. I’ve used apple juice and Young’s cider yeast and it’s almost fully fermented but I have a couple of really amateur questions about my next steps.

I’m planning on adding a little apple juice to sweeten my cider and using potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite to make sure it doesn’t start fermenting again. I have a spareglass demijohn and a bottling bucket at my disposal and was hoping someone could take me through the steps to get this right.

* In what order and how much of each do I add my sorbate and metabisulfite? With this being my first batch i’ve only made a tiny four litres.

* Do I add them straight into my primary fermenter or should I transfer them to my other demijohn first?

* Should I transfer my cider to my second demijohn before adding my apple juice?

* Do I need to prepare my apple juice in anyway or can I add it straight from the carton?

Sodium Metabisulfite is a wine stabiliser but it doesn't kill all of the yeast and as members have found adding juice with sugar in it can start fermentation again, i have had this happen ended up having to release pressure in the bottles every evening there wasn't much but i worried about bottle bombs if i didn't.

Potassium sorbate is used for preserving the wine not stopping fermentation.

Sodium Metabisulfite is a common additive used to preserve and stabilize wines, ciders, and occasionally beers. When added to wine or must, it forms sulfur dioxide gas (SO2). This prevents most wild microorganisms from growing and acts as a potent antioxidant, protecting both the color and delicate flavors of wine.

Potassium sorbate is the potassium salt of sorbic acid, chemical formula CH₃CH=CH−CH=CH−CO₂K. It is a white salt that is very soluble in water. It is primarily used as a food preservative. Potassium sorbate is effective in a variety of applications including food, wine, and personal-care products. Wikipedia

Ok so I am no expert.

However I will be doing similar in a month or 2 after my cider had aged a little more.

I am however keging mine afterwards so bottle bombs are not so much of an issue,

Here is some information I found, but as I said I am no expert and have not done it yet so cannot say it will defently work.

https://www.homecidermaking.com/how-to-stop-cider-fermentation/

I am no expert either but stopping cider may be easier as there is a lot less sugar to begin with so i imagine there will be a lot less yeast to kill at the end.

Last edited:
Sodium Metabisulfite is a wine stabiliser but it doesn't kill all of the yeast and as members have found adding juice with sugar in it can start fermentation again, i have had this happen ended up having to release pressure in the bottles every evening there wasn't much but i worried about bottle bombs if i didn't.

Potassium sorbate is used for preserving the wine not stopping fermentation.

Sodium Metabisulfite is a common additive used to preserve and stabilize wines, ciders, and occasionally beers. When added to wine or must, it forms sulfur dioxide gas (SO2). This prevents most wild microorganisms from growing and acts as a potent antioxidant, protecting both the color and delicate flavors of wine.

Potassium sorbate is the potassium salt of sorbic acid, chemical formula CH₃CH=CH−CH=CH−CO₂K. It is a white salt that is very soluble in water. It is primarily used as a food preservative. Potassium sorbate is effective in a variety of applications including food, wine, and personal-care products. Wikipedia

Hi Chippy. Going on from this, you have not mentioned potassium metabisulphate which I understand is also a preservative. How is this different to the sorbate?

Not sure if ok to diverse slightly here but as you know my preferred kits now are 30 bottle Kendridge. I want to try and lay some down for 6-12 months and the instructions mention to add 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulphate ( not included in kit ) once the wine is clear and just before bottling. To do this would mean me adding an extra racking after the 2 stage fining process otherwise I would be stirring everything up again just to add this PMBS. Wondered if I could just add it without stirring ( maybe not ) or if I can add it after the fining or maybe at the Chitosan stage then let it all settle again.

Ah decisions decisions. I wonder how well the wine would store any way without this addition. Maybe I should just drink it all.

Regards to all and please move this post if thought necessary..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back