A safe cleaner?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Morning all!

Just wondered if anyone else had used this product to clean (not sanitize/sterilize) their equipment? It is sold as safe for use in hospitals and food safe too, so given its great cleaning power, was wondering if it could be used (and is safe to use) in home brewing. Unfortunately the label gives no indication as to what is in it.
Has anyone tried it? Was it OK? TIA.

Attachments

• Blue Magic.jpg
    Blue Magic.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Ali,
you haven't attached a link or photo to give us a clue which product you are referring to.

That's the problem, the manufacturer is quite secretive about what its made up of. I have emailed them, but as its unlikely any of them will be homebrewers (and therefore unfamiliar with what is needed), I think they will probably just fall back on the 'food safe' argument. As regatrds cost, I got it on offer, but still initially expensive. It cost £24.99 for 2 litres of concentrate and a 500ml ready mixed spray bottle, however, because it is so concentrated, it is enough to make up 200 x 500ml bottles. This works out at 12.5pence per 500ml.
I normally use percarbonate for cleaning, but thought this may be a cheaper (and quite possibly better, if it is safe) alternative, hence the question.

Legally they should make available a COSHH Safety Data Sheet, but like you I have been unable to find one. All I could come up with was one for a American carpet cleaner of the same name, but with a completely different logo.

Until you find out what's in it I'd hang fire...for cheap...you can get 25 kg of pure sodium percarbonate delivered off fleabay for under £50...go shares with a couple of mates..

Quick update for you all. I rang the company today, and was rang back by one of their technical staff who was very helpful and answered all my question but one:- whats in it? Hardly surprising really as they have been making it for over 30 years, and wouldn't want it copied. He did say that it needed water to work, and wouldnt work without dilution. I was informed that it is safe for stainless steel, brass, silicone and anyything else we may use for brewing. He also gave me a tip that if it hadn't rinsed, the surface would be sticky, like spilled fruit juice. Was about to try it when my brain cell started to work. I vaguely remembered that I had seen a similar product when trying to find details of this one. A quick look back yielded this result: a blue liquid, food safe 5 litre cleaner for a lot less money than mine! Looking at its description it actually says it can be used within the brewing industry; RESULT!! here's the link for those that are interested: http://www.globalhygiene.com/blue-magic-original-food-safe-cleaner-5-ltr.html

Latest posts

Back