A saison recipe please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I've only had a Young's new world saison which is lined and the brew dog electric India.
Can you recommend me a saison recipe?

Cheers

Clint

I brewed the following last November, drinking my way through the final half dozen bottles as the carbonation has increased a lot recently and I'm nervous. Recipe is for 15 L but I'll provide percentages too. The recipe was made using the advice and sample recipe in Farmhouse Ales. I brew in a grainfather so you'll have to adjust as necessary.

2.5 kg Lager Malt (77%)
500 g Munich II (15%)
250g Malted Wheat (8%)

Mashed at 64c for an hour then mashed out at 75c for 10 mins.

Boiled for 90 mins with the following hops.
20g East Kent Goldings (6% AA) at 90 mins (enough to give 28 IBU in total)
15 g EKG at 15 mins (1 g/L)
10g EKG at 0 min (0.67 g/L)
20g Saaz (3.4% AA) at 0 min (1.33 g/L)

Fermented with Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale, started at 19c for 3 days the raised by 1c per day to 24c and held until finished. Can't remember if I cold crashed, I normally do before bottling but I want to get my bock fermenting so might have skipped it this time. Bottled to 2.5 vol CO2.

Really fruity pineapple flavour when young and is now spicy with a slightly earthy funk to it. Also for the first few months the hops were fairly prominent as a floral and herbal note which worked well with the yeast, after 5 months they'd faded and it's now all about the yeast, still good but different.

In this batch I hit 79% efficiency which resulted in 1.054 OG, 1.007 FG, 6.2% abv, 28 IBU, 8 EBC.

I'll definitely brew this again and I'm tempted to use the hopping schedule in a pale ale with a neutral yeast to see if it's as tasty there too.

Good luck.

This is a similar recipe.
Of course it comes out stronger than my recipe indicates as saison yeast takes the SG very low.

Attachments

• 43AAFB8F-8BD4-4E01-88F4-747516DB343F.png
    43AAFB8F-8BD4-4E01-88F4-747516DB343F.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 150
I've brewed Citra Saison (or a variation of it) by Brewing By Numbers from ' Craft Brew' a few times now. Really refreshing summer drink.

20l @ 5.5% og 1.044 fg 1.002
1.35kg pale malt
1.08kg pilsner malt
810g wheat malt
270g flaked wheat (I used flaked rye or flaked barley)
180g dextrose as wort is coming up to the boil.

Mash at 65 deg for 60 mins (I went 75 mins)

5g magnum 12.9% @60
10g citra 12% @10
10g citra 12% @5
50g citra 12% @flameout
10g cracked coriander seed @5

Wyeast 3711 French Saison (really recommend this yeast)

Ferment at 24 deg, rising to 27 deg

This is pretty much the recipe from the book. I had to increase the fermentables to get the fg though. I aimed for carbonation at 2.5 volumes.

@Oneflewover I might give that recipe a go. Ran it through some software and it only comes out to 16 IBUs assuming none from the 0 min addition. If I set 0 min to a 15 min hop stand while the GF whirlpools and settles then it bumps up to 32 IBUs. How did you deal with the last addition?

I've brewed Citra Saison (or a variation of it) by Brewing By Numbers from ' Craft Brew' a few times now. Really refreshing summer drink.

1.35kg pale malt
1.08kg pilsner malt
810g wheat malt

5g magnum 12.9% @60
10g citra 12% @10
10g citra 12% @5
50g citra 12% @flameout

This is pretty much the recipe from the book. I had to increase the fermentables to get the fg though. I aimed for carbonation at 2.5 volumes.
Thanks for that. I decided at pretty much the last minute to do a Citra saison and wasn’t sure what to do with the hop bill. Pretty much sorted now, thanks!

@Oneflewover I might give that recipe a go. Ran it through some software and it only comes out to 16 IBUs assuming none from the 0 min addition. If I set 0 min to a 15 min hop stand while the GF whirlpools and settles then it bumps up to 32 IBUs. How did you deal with the last addition?
Hello. I'm afraid that I did nothing more sophisticated than chuck it in at flame out. Then chilled straight away. I also ran it though software and got 20 ibu - go figure! It tastes about 20 ibu too in my humble opinion.

Thanks for that. I decided at pretty much the last minute to do a Citra saison and wasn’t sure what to do with the hop bill. Pretty much sorted now, thanks!
Go for it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Like I said, I did need to up the fermentables whilst keeping the same percentages to reach the og. But then my efficiency was **** poor for a while! That said I think that the efficiency might be a bit optimistic on several recipes in that book...

If you have Greg Hughes, take a look at the Biere de Garde which is on my to-do list. No idea how it compares to a true saison but uses saison yeast. The grain bill is in multiples of 500g so no wastage! The use of biscuit malt appealed to me too.

Good thread, I'm stepping up a yeast from a 750mm bottle of Saison d'Erpe-Mere at the moment, may need another step up before ready for use. So I'm working on a recipe for a Saison also
:thumb:

1.35kg pale malt
1.08kg pilsner malt
810g wheat malt

5g magnum 12.9% @60
10g citra 12% @10
10g citra 12% @5
50g citra 12% @flameout

Totally agree on this recipe - it's great! I had 50g extra citra hanging around in the freezer so I threw that into a dry hop.

Also used belle saison yeast instead which worked very well.

Thanks all! Dipping my toe in with the GH saison recipe..assembled by malt miller. Chose MJ French saison...very high fermentation temps on the packet of 26-32 c...what should I go with?

Thanks all! Dipping my toe in with the GH saison recipe..assembled by malt miller. Chose MJ French saison...very high fermentation temps on the packet of 26-32 c...what should I go with?
I start on the lower side, increase as fermentation progresses - perhaps half a degree a day.

I guess it depends how much flavour you want from the yeast. As you know you'll get a cleaner flavour at the lower end of a yeasts temp range

I don’t have a brew fridge and my heat belt struggled to get my brew up to the top end. I think I ended up topping out at 28C. I stopped going any higher when my brew cupboard started to smell of burning.

Hello all
I've only had a Young's new world saison which is lined and the brew dog electric India.
Can you recommend me a saison recipe?

Cheers

Clint
I brew a IMO a nice saison, loosely based on Firestone Walker's Opal as I was going for a saison with white wine like qualities, which mine does. Brewed in for 2 weddings, one a friend the other not and I got alot of positive comments. like when I was packing my kegs (empty) up the next morning and had like ten people come up saying 'oh you were the guy who did the beer'
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Saison of Love
Author: brannbrew

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 75 min
Batch Size: 15 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 22 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.032
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.007
ABV (standard): 5.24%
IBU (tinseth): 34.46
SRM (morey): 6.36

FERMENTABLES:
350.77 g - Belgian - Unmalted Wheat (9.9%)
1900 g - Pilsner (DE) (53.9%)
880 g - Wheat Malt (DE) (24.9%)
219.08 g - Caramel Wheat (DE) (6.2%)
88.62 g - Acidulated Malt (DE) (2.5%)
88.62 g - Torrified Wheat (2.5%)

HOPS:
20 g - Styrian Goldings, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3, Use: First Wort, IBU: 6.56
5 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: First Wort, IBU: 9.81
15 g - Styrian Golding, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 6.24
5 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 3.09
10 g - Styrian Golding, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 1.96
20 g - Amarillo (US), Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.8
20 g - Amarillo (US), Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0 min
35 g - Hallertau Blanc (DE), Type: Pellet, AA: 6.6, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 65 C, Time: 75 min, Amount: 18 L
2) Infusion, Temp: 70 C, Time: 20 min, Amount: 0 L
3) Sparge, Temp: 23 C, Time: 0 min, Amount: 6 L

YEAST:
Danstar - Belle Saison Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 82%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 17.22 - 23.89 C

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/379180/saison-of-love

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-07-05 06:07 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-07-04 20:30 UTC

Saison is all about the yeast IMHO, so I like to keep mine as SMaSH recipes. One of best so far has been with Wai-iti, which I was lucky enough to brew commercially after winning a comp with it, getting favourable ratings on untappd. I keep to a general rule of 1:1:3 (Bittering:Flavour:Aroma) hopping ratio to 35-40 IBUs. And simple water treatment with no bicarbonate reduction, offset using Gypsum to hit mash pH.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back