A Septic's Trip to the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackIsland

An Ode to Beer
Reaction score
For the next three weeks, this Yank will be making a whirlwind tour through the UK. We'll be having lots of pub meals, so suggestions on local beers in the following cities/towns/villages would be greatly appreciated: Bath, Newquay, Porthcawl, Conwy, Great Salkeld, York, and London.

Ignore the above.

Haven't got any specific examples from each area. Also ask for a try if something before you buy.

In Conwy you may be able to get something from purple moose.

Strange set of places to visit. Any reasons behind those?

York has lots of nice places to drink. The York Tap is great. It’s inside the railway station and has a good choice of cask and keg beer.
The railway museum is just around the corner and is worth a visit.
Have a great trip.

York is a great place to find nice beers and pubs. It gets busy, but House Of The Trembling Madness is certainly worth a visit for its drink selection and the historic and quirky surroundings.

+1 for York.
The original House of Trembling Madness on Stonegate then the brand new one. which has 5 floors.
Pivni also is worth a visit.
London probably Craft Beer Co.

For London, if you wanted to visit some of the most historic taverns, drink traditional ale and also take in some of the famous landmarks, off the top of my head I would do a walking tour (pub crawl) something like the following (with my notes, the factual accuracy of which has not been checked so may be dubious)

1. Viaduct Tavern (Oldest remaining gin palace in London, may be haunted as has some link to prisoners being hung after being tried in the Old Bailey which is the court where London's most serious crimes are heard; also very close proximity to St Pauls cathedral)

then on to

2. Ye Old Mitre (Tucked away in a hidden alleyway off Hatton Garden which is Londons famous diamond district; appears in the Guy Ritchie heist movie Snatch)

then a stroll down High Holborn to

3. Citie of Yorke (cant think of much on this one apart from it is very old, interesting building, Sam Smiths Pub last time I was in)

then down Chancery Lane (the heart of the legal district) and onto Caey street for

4. Severn Stars (tuked away behind the spectacular Royal Courts of Justice)

then cross fleet street and down Essex street to

5. The Edgar Wallace (Dr Johnson used to drink here, good selection of lesser seen ales last I was in, can be skipped if not enough time but make sure to visit the Middle Temple - home of the Knights Templar and Temple church, think Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code)

back up on to Fleet Street and then in either order

6. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese ) (labyrinth of a place rebuilt 1666; Charles Dickens supped there)

opposite that

7. Old Bell (could be missed out but of historical significance as was built by Christopher Wren for workers on St Pauls Cathedral)

turn right at Ludgate Circus and head south to

8.The Black Friar (famous Art Nouveau building; cosy booths; outdoor seating area)

I am not sure that I could hand on heart recommend eating in any of these but all worth a visit in their own right. I am sure I have missed one or two out. Also all of the above are less than a few minutes apart from each other on foot. If visiting at a weekend some of them will be shut so check ahead.

York is a great place to find nice beers and pubs. It gets busy, but House Of The Trembling Madness is certainly worth a visit for its drink selection and the historic and quirky surroundings.
Yes that's a great place. As @Braindead says, the original one is really quirky if you can fit in.

London is full of old pubs and some excellent beer, although there's plenty of **** ones too.
It depends on where you are in London, as it's a big place!
If you're near docklands at all, then I'd recommend The Gun, in docklands.
Admiral nelson hero of the battle of Trafalgur used to nip upstairs for a quickie with Lady Hamilton when he was in town.
Also the Prospect of Whitby in Wapping, where criminals and pirates were executed by drowning in the rising tide as the judge sipped his pint!
You will have to google, depending on where you are, or are going to be in London. Some pubs are historic and fascinating, but with average beer, some pubs are average but with wonderful and amazing beer.
If around on Saturday with free time, then try and head for the Bermondsey beer mile! Google it. Lots of very high quality brewery taprooms! Fourpure, Eebria, Partizan, Anspach and Hobday and the brilliant Brew By Numbers are all there.

Another good one in York is The Goden Fleece. Excellent pub food, haunted by numerous ghosts and a trip up the stairs will make you feel drunk before you've had a pint.
Drink in the history.

For York, York Tap, House of the Trembling Madness, Pivni and The Maltings are all musts in my opinion. Great city.

Cornwall will have lots of St Austell's Korev, Tribute and Proper Job which are all good local beers. I like their Mena Dhu stout too. IMO there is far more choice in the 'people's republic of ' Yorkshire. Too much cider down here

For the next three weeks, this Yank will be making a whirlwind tour through the UK. We'll be having lots of pub meals, so suggestions on local beers in the following cities/towns/villages would be greatly appreciated: Bath, Newquay, Porthcawl, Conwy, Great Salkeld, York, and London.

go to Cardiff instead of porthcawl - wink... zero degrees, queens vaults, brewdog and a great place next to the castle. (hopbunker)

We had a day out in Conway last year found a little place called Bank of Conway had a pretty decent selection of beers didn't try the food though, there's also a bottle shop on one of the main streets had lots of wines and some pretty decent beers aswell.

Latest posts

Back