A simple kit to start with?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good thing with those Wilko barrels is that they start to de-form into more of an egg shape once pressure starts to build up, so you kinda know when you have pressure or not....but you wouldn't know this if you are new to them.

As an insurance policy against loss of pressure, I replaced the top on mine with one with an S30 valve, and always give it a quick squirt of CO2 from a Hambleton Bard cylinder as soon as I've filled it. Something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Homebrew-Barr ... 2a375992ab My LHBS sells the cylinders for £20 and re-fills for £5, so it's not much of an outlay for peace-of-mind.

In fact, I was really lazy on Sat and gave it 3 squirts to fully gas it up, so that I didn't have to wait and could have a couple of pints immediately :D

Thanks Darrell, I think I will take your advice.
(Later) Although the only problem I can see with that is if the cap leaks now, adding a Sparklets will just be a waste of gas. I poured a pint off last night and there was a bit of pressure, but by the time I poured a second pint, that had petered out. I need to either sold the leakage or get another barrel. If this is an ongoing problem with Wilko's barrels, has anybody complained? What was the result?

Back