A struggling newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisd67

Reaction score
Any assistance/ advice would be greatly appreciated. Started my first brew, a mangrove jacks hellas kit 6 weeks ago, when decanting into barrel, had spare so filled some bottles. Now 3 weeks later the bottles have cleared and tastes like it should. However the barrel is still cloudy, have i ruined the barrel?

We they primed the same? Were they conditioned at same temps?
how does the barrel taste in comparison?

If it's a pressure barrel (PB) you have, some others on here are also reporting that their beer in their PBs are failing to clear, so you are not alone.
Anyway if you have a fridge big enough you could try putting your PB into that to try to drop the yeast.
Otherwise my advice is if its drinkable get stuck in. There is a chance it could be pressure related and when the pressure drops it will clear, or even yeast that has settled in the feed to the tap.
Finally you are unlikely to have done anything to your PB, its beer related.

If you are running the beer through a low level tap then it could take time. My barrels use a float to cream the beer from the top - if it does not clear you could try using finnings, but try getting the barrel temperature down first

Thanks for the advice, will try and cool it down further and leave for a bit longer. I know it's well sealed as there is plenty of pressure when I drew off the sample.

A quick update, i left the sample i took Wednesday in the glass, and by last evening it had cleared, with the yeast settled at the bottom. Would addi g finings to the varrel help, if so how would i refain the pressure in the barrel when adding? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well personally I would leave it, store at a cool a temp as possiblefor a month or so. I had a cloudy brew that would not clear. On the brew shops advise I added finnings but they did not work, but I would try them again if necessary. You could siphon off a glass of the beer off the top to check if it is clearing, but obviously you will loose some pressure. If its over lively you could just screw down the lid again and the beer would be ok. Alternately run a bottle off, let it settle for a few minutes and then add a small amount of sugar and seal it. See if that clears.
If you have a bacterial infection (which I think I had) then I believe you are stuffed. If you have too much carbonation when releasing pressure yeast/crud can be lifted from the vessel bottom reclouding the beer, but that tends to settle down again in a day or two. ( new brew)

Latest posts

Back