A triple-product CO2 regulator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxbat

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been wanting to upgrade my no-name-might-be-leaking-a-bit two-product regulator to something with a bit more quality to it so I started to do a bit of research and found almost nothing available in the UK. Over in the US on amazon.com you can easily get two-product regulators and even triple secondary regulators that could be fed from a primary. They are so much better served than we are so I started planning to import one and modify its cylinder connection so it would fit our BS341 fittings.

Then almost by accident while searching directly for quality regulator brand names sold on homebrew sites in the UK I came across an Italian shop, CIS Spare Parts, and they have an incredibly comprehensive range of regulators and fittings including up to 5-product regulators! I couldn't resist it and had a bit of a splurge. Here's my new regulator:

tI50AzK.jpg

It feels extremely sturdy and well made. It's so heavy it'll certainly tip over my cylinder if unsupported so I'm going to have to build a frame to hang it off. With 3 independently controlled outputs I can have two connected to my two kegs in the keezer and use the third as a spare to gas up kegs when they're being PBW cleaned, rinsed and star-san sterilised without disturbing the keezer. The low pressure gauges go up to 140psi in graduations of 4psi. I can manage with this but would prefer a smaller range if I had the choice.

The regulator doesn't come with outlet connectors or their nylon washers so you have to buy the style you want. I bought three each of these two:

8BBfoT9.jpg

The barb size on the ball-valve outlet is 8.3mm. The standalone barb is 7.3mm. I didn't know which one was going to fit 3/8" gas line the best so I bought both. The 7.3mm slips over easily but snugly. The 8.3mm also fits but is harder to push on (more secure?). In any case I can use either with or without the ball valve. I also bought a bag of 20 of the essential nylon washers since they were so cheap.

The cylinder connection on the regulator is described as w21.8 ch30 Italy which if you've been following @peebee's posts you'll know is the same as our BS341. Well, the cylinder nut is identical at least. The regulator inlet connection is slightly different but probably compatible. Here's what the Italian one looks like with the red nylon washer attached:

2ZNaPiy.jpg

For comparison, here's the end of a BS341 connection:

xMfi3XO.jpg

The diameter of the Italian inner ring is 1mm less than the UK one. The outer rings are the same. The Italian connector has a 'key' and if you look further down there is some kind of metal gauze filter in there. The UK connector is straight-through. I think the Italian connector is going to be compatible with our cylinders but I didn't know this when ordering so played safe and bought a BS341 inlet as well:

NNH05rU.jpg

So that's where I am now. The bits have arrived and I now need to build a stand to mount the new regulator on before I can migrate my kegs over to it.

In case anyone else is thinking of ordering from CIS Spare Parts, here's some tips.
  • The prices are in Euros excluding Italian tax at 22%.
  • There's a low-value order surcharge unless you exceed €50 (I think).
  • You have to register on the site to see some of the prices (bonkers!)
  • The international delivery charge is €15 by TNT and it's a 3 day service. There is no import duty to pay because CIS is in the EU.
  • Dispatch is fast. It was less than 24 hours for me.
  • They require a "tax code". This is your National Insurance (NI) number. They will not dispatch without it so don't skip any fields when you fill in the registration form because they'll come back and ask you for them.

• They require a "tax code". This is your National Insurance (NI) number. They will not dispatch without it so don't skip any fields when you fill in the registration form because they'll come back and ask you for them.
That is something I have never heard of and I wouldn't give mine to any company.

I think you two might be right and I therefore gave them the wrong number! I did a bit of research and it seems the tax code you need to shop online in Italy is the Italian Tax Code which serves as their NI number but is available to foreigners and can be generated using an online calculator.

Last edited:
I had some time at the weekend to make a stand for the new regulator so here's a few pics of the build.

Started with a 120 x 15mm plank, cut it up into suitable pieces and drilled 6mm holes all the way through to match the position of the M5 threaded holes cast into the back of the regulator body. Drilled one hole in the wrong place: oops.
1NO4L3W.jpg

I stained it with the first tin of woodstain that I found in the garage - oak - seems to look OK and will keep the wood from warping. 35mm bolts go all the way through and are temporarily held here by nuts while I measured up and fitted the two 'shelves' that will guide the stiff 3/8" hose down, through the gap between the legs then back up the back side up to where they will be in the right place to enter my keezer.
wekeC04.jpg

Removed the nuts and fitted the regulator on to the protruding bolts. It's very secure with 6 bolts holding it in place.
2LBYV3x.jpg

Now into the garage for the moment of truth. I guessed earlier that the Italian tank connector would be compatible with the UK CO2 tank and I was right. It's a perfect fit and tightens down very well. I think the only difference is that the nut is a few mm wider so you need a slightly larger spanner (or adjustable spanner). The thread and washer are the same as the UK.

The stand clears the tank by about 5mm - I'm sure I calculated for a bit more than that but it doesn't matter as long as it does clear it. Height wise I needed to add a few pages of newspaper underneath the stand to bring it up to a perfect level with the tank.
bwMetk6.jpg

Turning on the gas was, thankfully, a non-event. The high-pressure gauge went up to 750psi, there was no hissing from any joints and the starsan bubble test at the tank and gauge threads came up clean.

This is as much as I'm doing today. I've turned the gas off and will check the high-pressure gauge tomorrow to make sure it hasn't dropped which will show there aren't any leaks in the main body. I'll test the outlets when I hook it up to the keezer.

Back