A word on protofloc…

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use approx a 1/3rd of a tablet nowadays and have always run my pump without a filter, it has never blocked mind you I do use a hop spider then after removing it I stir the wort fast to whirlpool the trub into the middle, let it stand for 20 mins ish and I get hardly any trub into the FV athumb..
Baron, what kettle/equipment do you use? My Grainfather always feels like it would block at the slightest excuse

Hi Dunc I use a Ace which is the same as the Brewmonk/BrewDevil 30ltr jobby.
I use a hop spider even if whirlpooling which stops any possible blockages, I also stir my hops in the spider a few time to aid utilisation. If you want you could add a few more hops as some brewers seem to think using a spider stops the hops utilising fully due to been captive.
I have never had a problem with my method and it works for me also you could use a ALdi/Supermarket veg bag to contain the hops too

Any thoughts on using protofloc/whirlfloc in a hop spider to contain the consequent coagulant gloop?
I'm using extra large tea strainer balls now with my brews which for me gives me decent circulation, ease of adding the hops and filtering. I do though have a hop spider that I haven't used for ages as the mesh was too fine. It could though be of use for the protofloc, hmm.... might just have to try that 😁

Give it a go Anna and let us know it does sound feasible that it may contain some of the gloop.
My spider is 300 Microns so is reasonably fine but I would think the re-circ pump will have to be used to circulate all the wort through it to strain it out maybe after the boil for say 10 mins.
Experimentation is always the way to go it either works or not athumb..

EDIT

I have just thought thats what I do when using a whirlpool I put the hops in the spider then pump into it to agitate the hops for better utilisation so if it works the gloop will be filtered with the spider and the hops, I do get clean wort so maybe it helps.
Ps do not put the pump on full as it will eventually fill the spider as the flow is more than the rinsing out and fills the spider up and will overflow which defeats the object so a balanced pump setting is needed

2nd EDIT I wonder if it sticks to the hops in the spider?

Last edited:
Any thoughts on using protofloc/whirlfloc in a hop spider to contain the consequent coagulant gloop?
I'm using extra large tea strainer balls now with my brews which for me gives me decent circulation, ease of adding the hops and filtering. I do though have a hop spider that I haven't used for ages as the mesh was too fine. It could though be of use for the protofloc, hmm.... might just have to try that 😁
Hi Anna, I generally add my protofloc into my hop spider....just habit, no reason for it. As I crumble the tablet when adding I presume it gets dispersed into the brew. I'd say the spider makes no difference. I did the usual yesterday and, as noted above, maybe saw a difference in gunk due to using a smaller tablet size and leaving things to settle over lunch. 🤔

FWIW I use half a tablet for a 23L batch and will carry on like that but only because I can easily break one almost exactly in half with my fingers, thirds might be a bit more tricky 😂
One thing that used to bother me is that they really stink when added to the boil. So much so that I thought I’d messed up a whole brew the first time I used them. To this day I can’t believe that smell just disappears 🤢

I'm not sure a spider would help contain the coagulated matter. It forms throughout the boiling wort, not just within the spider. So some would form outside the spider.

I use a 1/4 - 1/2 (depending how it breaks!) of a tablet for a 20L (in the FV) mash. I often gets lots of fluffy crud that won't completely settle in the boiler, so I might try a little less to see if this helps next time.

Latest posts

Back