AArgh, is it worth bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausagefingers

Reaction score
After a grueller of a day I've come home to find my FV leaking. Made a Festival kit yesterday and there was 2 litres of it all over the garage floor :mad:. Panic set in and I grabbed a brand new FV that I'd just bought and threw the rest of the 20 litres into it, only thing is I hadn't sterilised it aheadbutt
Should I just swill the lot down the drain or is there a slim chance it could turn out ok?
Cheers

After a grueller of a day I've come home to find my FV leaking. Made a Festival kit yesterday and there was 2 litres of it all over the garage floor :mad:. Panic set in and I grabbed a brand new FV that I'd just bought and threw the rest of the 20 litres into it, only thing is I hadn't sterilised it aheadbutt
Should I just swill the lot down the drain or is there a slim chance it could turn out ok?
Cheers
There's a fair chance and what have you got to lose? Let it ferment out and if it tastes ok then bottle it. Make sure you put some of it in PET bottles so you can keep an eye on how the pressure's building up.
Fingers crossed.
Fix your leak and get another one on ASAP, just in case.

Chances are it will be ok, beer is more resilient than we think, I had a similar issue a week or so ago, brew in the FV started leaking out the tap where it meets the FV as I'd taken the tap of to clean it and not tested it before adding the wort, it was only a small leak but luckily I'd just bought a new FV so quickly sprayed it with a no rinse sanitiser I had already made up and syphoned it in it, it wasn't until I put the lid on that I realised I hadn't sanitised the lid. Beer is ok as I had a taste when doing a SG test.

Just to third the reassurance everything will probably be fine. On my second to last brew I had to shove my whole arm in the kettle after the boil and cooling to pitching temp to attach a hop filter I’d forgotten to put on before the boil. The tap had clogged almost as soon as I’d started transferring to the FV. I did plunge my arm in StarSan first, but far from best practice, being up to your elbow, James Herriot style, in unfermented wort.

Guess I’m just saying, we all do silly things, beat ourselves up about them, worrying we’ve ruined a batch. 9 times out of 10 it has no detrimental effect at all.

I dropped my unsterilised yeast packet into the wort a few brews ago, must have come out alright because I can’t remember which beer it was! You’ll be alright!

Thanks for the reassuring replies, much appreciated.
It certainly hasn’t stopped it fermenting , checked this morning and it’s gone off like a rocket so I guess I’ll just leave it now and see. Hopefully fixed the dodgy FV and will stick another kit in there
Thanks again

Never chuck anything until you know its well beyond the point of repair.

I suspect the odds are you will be fine, the fact you have a healthy fermentation is a good sign

Which Festival kit is it?
I have the Oaked apple one on the go as we speak

it’s the Razorback which is why I was reluctant to bin the lot as it’s one of my favourites but judging by the smell it looks like I dodged a bullet and it may turn out ok

It’s always worth bearing in mind that all the efforts we go with cleaning and sanitisation is just to best avoid the chance of a spoiled brew. Failure to not sanitise a bit of equipment correctly or doing something not deemed best practice on the spur of the moment does not automatically equal a ruined batch.

As wiser hands will always tell us, brewing is all about patience. Unfortunately, the length of time it takes to achieve the finished product also leads to plenty more opportunity for over reflection and that constant nagging worry over the single thing we failed to do correctly! acheers.

Latest posts

Back