Abbott Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country joe

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've always been a lover of Green Kings Abbot Ale,
Is there any 40 pint beer kits, that you think tastes similar to this popular ale?

Have you googled it.
This from Colchester home brew forum.
After a fair bit of experimentation, I have settled on the following recipe which, though still not quite Abbot Ale, produces a very tasty beer:
For 23 litres
Grain Bill (Mashed in 12.5ltrs at 65°C for 90 minutes):
Pale Malt (5 EBC) - 4750g
Crystal Malt (130 EBC) - 250g
Amber Malt (100 EBC) - 50g
Main Boil Hops 90 minutes
First Gold (8.3% AA) - 11g
Challenger (7.5% AA) - 11g
Fuggles (4.8% AA) - 11g
Late Boil Hops for last 15 minutes
First Gold (8.3% AA) - 7g
Challenger (7.5% AA) - 7g
This produces a beer of around 4.8% ABV, with a bitterness of 30 EBU and a colour of 20 EBC
Obviously, if you are working in lbs and L/SRM measures for your grain or using US gallons rather than Imperial gallons or litres, you'll need to adjust this accordingly.

I have been trying to recreate this beer since I started to brew in 1978. I have followed recipes, adapted recipes along with trying my own ideas and have come to the conclusion although the beers I have made have in the main been good and some may be a reasonable likeness I don't think I will get any any closer unless I could get some of GKs yeast.

What yeast do you use?
As I said I have been on this mission since 1978. For the first 20 years or so I would have used yeast harvested from Worthington white shield bottles as that was about the only yeast I used. Once Wyeast and Whitelabs come onto the market I have use all of their English style yeasts. I also spoke to Brewlabs but they were not able to help.

Have you googled it.
This from Colchester home brew forum.
After a fair bit of experimentation, I have settled on the following recipe which, though still not quite Abbot Ale, produces a very tasty beer:
For 23 litres
Grain Bill (Mashed in 12.5ltrs at 65°C for 90 minutes):
Pale Malt (5 EBC) - 4750g
Crystal Malt (130 EBC) - 250g
Amber Malt (100 EBC) - 50g
Main Boil Hops 90 minutes
First Gold (8.3% AA) - 11g
Challenger (7.5% AA) - 11g
Fuggles (4.8% AA) - 11g
Late Boil Hops for last 15 minutes
First Gold (8.3% AA) - 7g
Challenger (7.5% AA) - 7g
This produces a beer of around 4.8% ABV, with a bitterness of 30 EBU and a colour of 20 EBC
Obviously, if you are working in lbs and L/SRM measures for your grain or using US gallons rather than Imperial gallons or litres, you'll need to adjust this accordingly.
What's your sparge water quantity goodolpete?

Not a kit but I came across this when looking for an Abbot clone:
3583A176-674D-43C6-951E-1B4CE6474489.jpeg

I’ll probably beef it up a fair bit so it’ll end up more of an Abbot’s Reserve or Abbot’s Confession style ale.

Not a kit but I came across this when looking for an Abbot clone:View attachment 28340

I’ll probably beef it up a fair bit so it’ll end up more of an Abbot’s Reserve or Abbot’s Confession style ale.

Fairly sure I came across this recipe a few years back. At the time I was getting an average efficiency of around 70-75% so I adjusted it accordingly and off hand can't recall what yeast I used, probably one of the whitelabs strains I would have also used invert No.2. IIRC this was a very good beer but not quite Abbot.

I too am looking for an off the shelf kit that has a similar roasted malt, sweet, caramel aroma/taste.

I live in Ireland and recently went back to the U.K for a visit, whilst there I had Abbot Ale and a beer named Black Sheep, both I found similar in style.

I am a complete novice and have only ever used kits in the past, so if anyone knows of a good off the shelf kit that would be similar please let me know.

Latest posts

Back