Absolute beginner!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantos71

Reaction score
Hi all.
Being a lover of real ale (Abbott, Plumb Porter and J W Lees amongst my faves), I was bought what seems a very basic homebrew kit for my birthday, so now the seed has been planted for me to brew my own (which I'm very keen to do), so could anyone please recommend any books for an absoulte novice to get started.
Thanks in advance.
Grant

Hi all.
Being a lover of real ale (Abbott, Plumb Porter and J W Lees amongst my faves), I was bought what seems a very basic homebrew kit for my birthday, so now the seed has been planted for me to brew my own (which I'm very keen to do), so could anyone please recommend any books for an absoulte novice to get started.
Thanks in advance.
Grant
https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/...ZcBiEPS6sJEZ-tPZVn8jWWNQbN7KS_sIaAqQCEALw_wcBThis is known as the Bible to a lot.

Kit. If you would like to send it me then once I have read up and bought all the correct equipment I need then I could maybe give it a try.

Thank you. I have just ordered a copy.🍺🍺👍👍
This taught me everything I need to know to get started. Word of advice though - don't bother with kits, go straight to extract with steeped grains. It's not much more work and the results are so much better.

Kit. If you would like to send it me then once I have read up and bought all the correct equipment I need then I could maybe give it a try.
Yes - it is easy to over complicate things when you are starting out, after all the human race have been brewing beer for over 12,000 years

Quantities below are for a 19L brew

Malt

Pale - 3020 gs
Crystal - 943gs
Amber - 122gs

Strike heat (temp when you add the malt) = 72C
Mash at 66C for 90 mins

Then

Boil for 90 mins

Start of boil

19gs Challenger hops

10 mins before end of boil

11gs Challenger hops
12gs First Gold hops
23gs Fuggles hops

Good luck

Don't worry about being new. I have two extract batches with steeped grains ready to go when I can find the time to do it - I have been hesitant because I've only done kits but I'm going to do it I suspect whatever mistakes I make will hold me in good stead for when my Brewzilla turns up later this month :laugh8:

The hardest thing is keeping everything thoroughly clean and sanitised then everything else is down to cost and experience. If you can boil Spuds, rice or cook an omelette you'll be fine brewing beer.
I done kits years ago but went straight to all grain with a few extract brews in between.

Don't worry about being new. I have two extract batches with steeped grains ready to go when I can find the time to do it - I have been hesitant because I've only done kits but I'm going to do it I suspect whatever mistakes I make will hold me in good stead for when my Brewzilla turns up later this month :laugh8:
Ha ha. Yes I'm very much open to trial error (spent yrs trying to perfect Indian restaurant curries at home), I would just like to have some knowledge of brewing etc. rather than just following recipes.

Yes - it is easy to over complicate things when you are starting out, after all the human race have been brewing beer for over 12,000 years

Quantities below are for a 19L brew

Malt

Pale - 3020 gs
Crystal - 943gs
Amber - 122gs

Strike heat (temp when you add the malt) = 72C
Mash at 66C for 90 mins

Then

Boil for 90 mins

Start of boil

19gs Challenger hops

10 mins before end of boil

11gs Challenger hops
12gs First Gold hops
23gs Fuggles hops

Good luck
Thank you very much. I will let you know how it turns out when I get to give it a go. 👍👍

Back