ABV calculation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Specifically calculators.... Which one do you all use? I asK because I have only just learned there are different methods at play put my readings into 2 apps that I use frequently (Birrapps and Brewtracker)

Seems like Birrapps uses the alternate method as described on this sites calculator which gives a fair bit higher ABV.

Cant believe I have never noticed this discrepancy before

Just to add though, that having tried some more numbers, the discrepancy doesnt appear to be there at lower ABV which is maybe why I havent noticed it until I went for this big stout

Yeah thats the one that alerted me to the existence of different ways to do it. When do yoy know whether to believe the standard or the alternate?
The alternative is nearly always higher so when you're boasting to your mates about the strength of your beer, you choose that one, but when you're deliberating whether or not to have another, you choose the standard.

The alternative is nearly always higher so when you're boasting to your mates about the strength of your beer, you choose that one, but when you're deliberating whether or not to have another, you choose the standard.

Standard when the wife asks me.

Got it.

Latest posts

Back