ABV slightly lower after adding priming sugar solution 🤔

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodlebrew

Reaction score
Hello, so I had finished fermenting my American ipa, and took my gravities as normal. I found the brew was 6.5%. I then added my sugar solution to the bottle bucket, and siphoned my brew on top of that.

After taking final reading before bottling I notice the ABV had dropped by 0.5%. Could this be due to the sugar solution I used?

I boiled up some brewing sugar in 1 cup's worth of water for 10 minutes and let it cool. Doesn't seem like enough volume to significantly change the abv?

Cheers guys,

Noodle.

Last edited:
Hello again! So then TerryM was right. The yeast ate the priming sugars, and the ABV increased again. However, even though the yeast did their job, I have no head to my beer whatsoever! It tastes great and is the correct %... but this is the first time I've had this problem, but its also the first time I've used my beer fridge.

I made the mistake of bottling my beer and dropping the temp down to the recommended 12°c for conditioning!

Should i have given it a few days at room temp first to get the yeast working, prior to dropping the temp?

It has some bubbles in the beer and a slight tingle on the tongue, but zero head.

Cheers guys

If you're conditioning at 12°C it will take more than a couple of weeks to carbonate. In future you could leave at 20-22°C for 2 weeks then drop to 12°C for as long as you want. You're more likely to have better carbonated bottles at those temperatures.

Latest posts

Back