ABV too low, can i raise after fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie72

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some advice, again! I’ve not long started brewing and, loving it. I have made a couple of kits and can not wait till summer to use my own garden fruits.

Started a Resling couple of weeks ago and took an initial SG 1058. I have checked again and I’m now 992 which would suggest my wine would be 8.8%. This is low and wondering if there was anyway to increase the av. kit was supposed to be 12!

Cheers

Is this a kit? Did you follow the instructions exactly? If so then it is likely that the OG measurement you took was wrong, probably not mixed fully before you took a sample. If the amount of sugar and water added was correct then the OG should have been within a couple of points of the expected value.

I wouldnt mess around with it. You could add more sugar now (unless you have already added the finings) but I would leave it.

Yeah this is a kit when I initially took the SG reading it was 1.058. I thought it was a bit odd as the instructions says it should read 1.070 - 1.097. Not sure what to do. It’s definitely reading 992 and it has been fermenting for Soild 2 weeks.

If I were to add suger, how would I do this and would I leave it longer and how long?

What xozzx is say is that if you added the correct amount of sugar or whatever they tell you to add your wine should turn out at the correct ABV but it sounds like if you have that the sugar has not been dissolved fully when you took your reading. This means you have a false reading but the correct amount of sugar is in the wine which is misleading you that it will be low on alcohol which it will not be if you have added the correct amount of sugar.
You will know when you drink the wine as you should be able to judge the strength is there after a few glasses Hic!!!
To answer your question I would not add any more sugar as it has fully fermented out as long as you have added the correct amounts according to the instructions

Ah, sorry I get it now! This kit came already mixed. That makes sense now. I will leave this and give it another day check it again then move on to the next process. Thanks guys 👍

Back