Accidental mega long primary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliglynn

Reaction score
I’ve had a fermenting bucket with a raspberry beer kit in it sitting in my cupboard under the stairs for around 6 months that for various procrastination related issues I have not yet bottled. It’s probably been at a reasonably stable temperature, however The air bubbler got knocked off ages ago.
It smells really nice (no off smells) and hence questions are:
1. Will it be unsafe for consumption if bottled & secondary fermented (I’d rather take the written than the practical on this!)
2. Will it taste ****?

Wondering whether to bottle or bin it!?

If it smells off, don't bottle it.
If it's smells alright, draw 100ml off and sip it over 5 mins. Does it taste alright? If yes, does it leave your palate clean (or doesn't taste of sour, or give an oily feel, or feel like a refresher fizzing on your tongue)
Drink all 100ml, do you have diarrhea the next day?
If those tests are all ok, bottle it. Well done it's been pre-aged!

Might need a few grains of fresh yeast to allow it to carb up tho

If it smells off, don't bottle it.
If it's smells alright, draw 100ml off and sip it over 5 mins. Does it taste alright? If yes, does it leave your palate clean (or doesn't taste of sour, or give an oily feel, or feel like a refresher fizzing on your tongue)
Drink all 100ml, do you have diarrhea the next day?
If those tests are all ok, bottle it. Well done it's been pre-aged!

Might need a few grains of fresh yeast to allow it to carb up tho
Ensure the taste test is carried out by the wife. Why would you want to risk diarrhea for yourself. :beer1:

Latest posts

Back