Acid Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saisonator

Landlord.
Reaction score
Do many people on here use acid malt and if so, how do you think it compares to other acid additions with the finished beer flavour?

I use it in my Saison but that's about it. You have a little more control with using lactic acid additions vs. acid malt so it really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Started using it last month after switching to tap water from ashbec. Seems to do the trick at low % combined with gypsum and/or calcium chloride.

I use it in my Saison but that's about it. You have a little more control with using lactic acid additions vs. acid malt so it really depends on what you are trying to achieve.
Just need to get the mash ph down for a pilsner.
I normally use AMS / CRS, just fancied giving something traditional a try and if it works out well maybe use it instead .

I also use in lighter beers for pH management. Avoids all the extra Chloride and Sulphate ions associated with using CRS. Cant say I can taste the lactic

I've been using it for a few years now at roughly 2% of the grain bill and is great for getting the pH in the ballpark then fine tuning with salts.Definite improvement in beer quality and taste whether lager or ale.

Acid malt is just malt with lactic acid sprayed (or grown) on it. It's a way German brewers can get around the beer purity law that prevents them from just putting acid into their brewing liquor.

The rest of us can just use a suitable acid.

Do many people on here use acid malt and if so, how do you think it compares to other acid additions with the finished beer flavour?
It's good for reducing the mash pH of Czech pilsners, which call for very soft water and have no dark grains. About 100g max in a 20 litre batch should be below the toast threshold. I tend to use a bit less.

It's good for reducing the mash pH of Czech pilsners, which call for very soft water and have no dark grains. About 100g max in a 20 litre batch should be below the toast threshold. I tend to use a bit less.
You're in a similar scenario to myself as its usually around the 100g I would use and if brewing a stout/porter around 1% as the dark grains tend to lower the pH to around 5.3 when used together but that's my water.

Back