Acidity in winemaking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
I am currently re-reading the 'bible' by CJJB, and he recommends 3 level teasp acid for Rosehip as it falls into his 'very low' category. However, the recipe in the book clearly states 1 teasp - which is what I used for the batch I made in 2019 (drinking tonight, and quite pleased with it).

I made two batches this last year (2020) - one with hips in the food processor, one with hips sliced and crushed. Interestingly, they are quite different colours, the 'processed' one is darker. I used 1 teasp acid again, but am now wondering whether I should try to increase this, and is it possible to do this while they are still in the DJs?

Any thoughts welcome...

If it tastes alright which you seem to think so,Then it is alright.

The above sounds like double dutch I know,But believe me when i say that you'd soon know if it was not enough.
The wine would smell and taste like evo-stick contact adhesive.
And there is no cure for this.

3tsp is a lot for 1gal i would have thought this is only necessary for very,very hard water areas.
Unless he is talking about "acid mix".
which is:-1part citric,1part malic and 1part tartaric. total 3parts.

Hi John

Thanks for this. Not the first minor contradiction I have come across in the book, but to be fair there is a heck of a lot of (useful) information in there.

I'll stick with 1 teasp for the time being.

There is nothing more i like than reading Berry at bedtime,His infectious enthusiasm propells to new ideas.
Glad to see i am not the only one. athumb..

I have mainly been turning to Berry for 'answers' but re-reading the book through has been informative, and highlighted some useful bits I had forgotten or skipped over a bit. Also, I should have said 'inconsistencies' rather than contradictions to be fair.

I've just been given 2 books by Edwin J Bent which are quite fascinating - what you can and cannot make wine from in the hedgerows.

Just watch your sugar levels with Berry,Some of them are outrageous and are more likely to produce syrup than wine.
Other than that i find his books a good read.

There is one other thing.
winemakers in hard alkaline water areas have a much greater leeway in correcting the PH of the must.

Latest posts

Back