Acronyms :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlucas

Reaction score
I'm reading a lot of fascinating stuff here about how I can save some backahes by automating the brewing process, and I'm really quite keen to have a go. But give a newcomer a chance, people. RIMS, HERMS, all these acronyms and jargon. Can we have a translation into English for us late developers?

Many thanks
Richard

adrianmole72 said:
There is a glossary above left which may help you :thumb:
Yes, and RIMS is in it: Recirculating Infusion Mash System :thumb:

HERMS isn't :wha:

A few that I've previously posted on another forum, including additions by Evanvine:

GC: Grape Concentrate
GJC: Grape Juice Concentrate
WGC: White Grape Concentrate
RGC: Red Grape Concentrate
WGJ / RGJ: White / Red (supermarket) Grape Juice
OJ: Orange Juice
AJ: Apple Juice
WOW: Wurzel's Orange Wine
CT / CTs: Campden Tablet(s)
FV: Fermentation Vessel
DJ: Demijohn
PET: Plastic DJ or bottles (made from PolyEthylene Teraphthylate IIRC)
IIRC: If I Recall Correctly
IMO: In My Opinion
IMHO: In My Humble/Honest Opinion
SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed (there is no male equivalent)
FWIW: For What It's Worth
PITA: Pain In The (backside)
BTW: By The Way
ABV: Alcohol By Volume  
SG: Specific Gravity
OG: Original Gravity
FG: Final Gravity
DME: Dried Malt Extract (or Spraymalt)
LME: Liquid Malt Extract (syrup out of a tin)
LSM: Light SprayMalt
DSM: Dark SprayMalt
AG: All Grain
HLT: Hot Liquor Tank
AA: Alpha Acids (of hops), percentage, needed to calculate;
IBU: International Bitterness Units (probably the highest being found in) ;
IPA: India Pale Ale
HSA: Hot Side Aeration
PM: Private Message
PMSL: Peeing MySelf Laughing
HERMS: Heat Exchange Recirculation Mashing System
RIMS: Recirculation Infusion Mashing System
CFC: Counter Flow Chiller
IC: Immersion Chiller
RTFM: Read The Flippin' Manual
PPM: Parts Per Million or mg/ltr
FUBAR: Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition
FUBARD: Fouled Up Beyond All Reasonable Doubt
SNAFU: Situation Normal - All Fouled Up
TARFU: Totally And Royally Fouled Up
SOPOANESFI: Stressed Out, Peed Off And Not Even Slightly Flamin' Interested
DILLIGAF: Do I Look Like I Give A Fig?
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
FIFO: (courtesy of Baz Chaz): Fit In or (go away)

You could work where I work It would finish you off for the first 6 months hearing people having daily troubles with DAL, PVPP's,FV's, GBC's, PHE's, YCV's, too long a residence time in CT, did we add enough AMG, etc etc etc......

UP

I agree on this one as I have been confused a little bit with the jargon over time.

Can we keep the glossary up to date with perhapse an acronym section to keep people in the loop.

One can feel a little bit lost and ailienated if you are not up to speed with terms.

:cheers:

I have been wondering about that one for ages, I knew it had to be HI (her indoors :D ) but couldn't work out what it actually stood for.

We have all seen 'Good Morning Vietnam' haven't we?

mashman said:
I agree on this one as I have been confused a little bit with the jargon over time.

Can we keep the glossary up to date with perhapse an acronym section to keep people in the loop.

One can feel a little bit lost and ailienated if you are not up to speed with terms.
I think that many of these should already be in the glossary, do you want to start cross-referencing so we can present a list to Admin for inclusion (I don't have the power to edit that section) or shall we make our own list? I'm moving this topic to the Snug and could make it a sticky if that would be helpful.

Come on folks, give me some more and I'll add them to the list.
golder247 said:

I have been wondering about that one for ages, I knew it had to be HI (her indoors :D ) but couldn't work out what it actually stood for.
Yes, it's the OH (Other Half), which I suppose could also apply to a husband. OCM is also used in boating circles and can relate to any spouse or life partner, opposite or same sex, that's Other Crew Member.
golder247 said:
We have all seen 'Good Morning Vietnam' haven't we?
Yes, but none are springing to mind. Give us a reminder but try to keep it clean ;)

I believe She Who Must Be Obeyed orignated in 'Rumpole of The Bailey' didn't it?

One I've heard is used in A&E when a motorbike accident victim comes in:
FUBAR BUNDY - 'fouled' up beyond all recognition but unfortunately not dead yet.

Crastney said:
I believe She Who Must Be Obeyed orignated in 'Rumpole of The Bailey' didn't it?

It is indeed but is accredited to Henry Rider Haggard's novel "She", first published as a novel in 1887. :whistle: :whistle:

My favourite is FIFO :hmm:

Fit In or Feck Off :lol:

unclepumble said:
You could work where I work It would finish you off for the first 6 months hearing people having daily troubles with DAL, PVPP's,FV's, GBC's, PHE's, YCV's, too long a residence time in CT, did we add enough AMG, etc etc etc......

UP

I didn't recognise any of them apart from FV then I re read your post and realised it was big brewery talk. :lol: :lol:

DAL- De-aerated liquor
Liquor- Water
PVPP- Polyvinylpyrrolidone
FV- Fermenting Vessel
GBC- Green Beer Centrifuge
PHE- Plate Heat Exchanger
YCV- Yeast Containment Vessel
CT- Conditioning Tank
AMG- Amylo-Glucosidase
DPV- Dual Purpose Vessel
BBT- Bright Beer Tank
KG Filter- Kieselguhr Filter
LT-Lauter Tun
MT- Mash Tun

And there are many many many more

UP

A Navy one for when you've got a good thing going and then idiots join in and ruin it.

TWATO.

Work it out yersels'. ;)

GAOMACASUFA TTFW.

Give an old man a chance and stop using F**Cking Acronyms. Type the f***ing word !

:D

Latest posts

Back