Added Candi Sugar to mash by mistake. What's the consequnce ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piglane

Reaction score
I juat brewed a belgium quad which I plan on leaving to age for a year until next xmas. Unfortunately lack of sleep and distracrion during the brew lead me to dump the dark belgium candi sugar into the mash. Anyone aware of what the consequences may be ? I still hit the desired garvity which I calculated. Presumably the reason to add to the boil would be to prevent the grain soaking up those sugars etc, but if I've hit the numbers maybe not a problem ? I did notice the wort wasn't as dark I was expecting.
Anyone done this before or know what the potential consequences are? Wondering whether to just brew it again rather than wait a year to be disappointed !

Cant see how it would make and difference whatsoever tbh. Carry on.

I’d be concerned adding sugar to mash would interfere with the sugar/flavour extraction from the grains, may explain why paler than you were expecting? if you’ve hit the numbers as you say I would treat as an experiment and carry on/drink earlier and brew another as normal for long store. Top marks for getting the brew on, I have to get mine going for next year also! Polished off the last of Christmas 2019 quad which was superb.

I’d be concerned adding sugar to mash would interfere with the sugar/flavour extraction from the grains, may explain why paler than you were expecting? if you’ve hit the numbers as you say I would treat as an experiment and carry on/drink earlier and brew another as normal for long store. Top marks for getting the brew on, I have to get mine going for next year also! Polished off the last of Christmas 2019 quad which was superb.
Theres always folk on here who know better so I dont want to speak definitively here, but my last brew included an iterated mash where over 50% of my base malt and all of my specialty grains were mashed in a wort that was about 1.040, and whilst I never done the efficiency calcs on that second mash, I got everything I was expecting out of it.

My only concern in this one would be to make sure all the sugar was dissolved before removing the wort from the grains or vice versa, so as not to be throwing out chunks of sugar.

Thanks guys, no sign of candy rocks remain in grain bed, and hit the correcr gravity. Ao presume the job of extracting the sugars has still been done and most of the flavour will be coming from the yeast and ageing, so will presumw I'm good. Find out in a year or so!

Latest posts

Back