Added too many finings by mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzykat

Reaction score
Hi all. So, I just misread the dosage for Kwik Clear and added 6 teaspoons instead of 6ml to my Elderflower Fizz :-(

Is there anything I should urgently do to minimise damage? Filter? shake? Rack? Anything else? Or is it a case of wait and hope?

Many thanks

Paul

I don't know by what mechanism this particular stuff works but I wouldn't stress on it too much at this point.

These things usually either attract negatively charged particles or positively charged particles and help them settle out.

I've done way too much bentonite in mead before and never had a problem except a whole bunch of goo in the bottom of the carboy resulting in less bottles filled.

Hi, 5 gallons.

As you know it's 2ml to a gallon I believe a teaspoon is equivalent to 5ml so you have gone a bit ott I doubt you will notice any off flavours so I would carry on and bottle when clear.

Last edited:
I would not worry about it. I have on several occasions 'dipped' WELL into a 30 bottle kit post fermentation but well before adding the finings. Some actually settle down and clear quite well before that stage. I have then added the finings two stage but put the whole sachets in regardless.. Never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back