Adding a grain to ginger beer to improve mouthfeel.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottyburto

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

What would simmering some oats with the ginger add to the final mouth feel of a ginger beer?

Previously I've made ginger beer a fair few times with ginger, sugar and various fruits and I've often ended up with an alcoholic ginger ale.

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the sound of an alcoholic ginger beer with some body to it like a proper beer, probably not too heavy though as it could be sickly. I wonder if wheat would work to give a ginger beer with a hint of wheat beer. Something I'd like to try myself.

It was something I thought up as I was reading about craft brewers making oat milk for their NEIPAs. My ginger beer is just a cheap experiment that's quick and easy to knock up when I haven't got a kit beer to do! I buy frozen ginger from Asda for 85p and keep a few in the freezer for when they're needed. We always have fruit knocking about that can be used and same with sugar in the cupboard.
So my idea came cause I've always got porridge oats just unsure how much to use and how messy they make things. In regards to wheat u reckon I could chuck a weetabix or 2 in as well?

I don't know about a weetabix but you could use wheat malt extract. I'm brand new to brewing so not sure exactly what each ingredient brings to the recipe but I just had a can of Innis and Gunn lager that apparently uses oats and it was very smooth, so oats could well be what you need.

I did a Google earlier and it appears that malted ginger beers and ginger wheat beers have been done. I am thinking for my next brew after bottling the current batch, mashing maybe 1/3 of the usual pale malt for an ale, boiling for an hour with say 15 IBU of bittering hops and adding this to a ginger beer wort.

Last edited:
I think the “brew it yourself” book had a recipe for ginger ale with malt.
It’s on my to do list, once I have a DJ free.

I've just finished a Ginger Ale

70g grated root ginger
1 lemon juice & Rind
Brought to boil in 2L water for 10min
1080g sugar added
Cooled for 1 hour
2L cold water added to demijohn
Ginger/lemon strained through sieve into DJ
Topped up to 1 gallon
Added tsp of granualted wine yeast
Shook up and airlock added
OG 1095 FG1055 ABV 5.3%

Bottled when SG was 1055.
Left in bottle in a warm place for 48hrs to carb.
Pasturised in a large saucepan of water at 85c for 15min

There is a bit of sediment at the bottom but with careful pouring you can avoid.
Sweet, Fizzy and a nice tang from the Ginger and Lemon.

Niall

I just finished a ginger beer where I used pearl barley for mouthfeel, turned out very nice 👍🏻

Latest posts

Back