Adding "body" to the beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockford

Reaction score
I have recently brewed a Nut Brown Ale from a Muntons Conniseur range and it's turned out very well. While enjoying it I wondered if it would be even better with more "body". I am wondering if indeed this would be the case and how I would achieve it?
Rockford

Hi Rockford, Did you use sugar in the kit? if you did that would thin the beer. It is better to use malt extract (liquid or dried) Kit enhancer could be used but that is a mix of Dry malt extract and sugar, so not as good.

Brewing shorter to 21 l will add body. I'm not that keen on maltodextrin but a good substitute is wheat dme which does the same (imo) adds body and head retention.

Not sure if this is the case but if you're drinking it quite soon after bottling / kegging then simply leaving it will probably let it develop more depth.

Brewing shorter to 21 l will add body. I'm not that keen on maltodextrin but a good substitute is wheat dme which does the same (imo) adds body and head retention.

DME is a fermentable, yes I agree you should add dme to a kit but you can also add maltodextrin on top of it because it won't ferment.

Try amazon

OATS? As in porridge oats. I've just bought a Geordie Winter Warmer as my 5th brew. Can i use oats in that? If so, how much and when?

Yep those Oats, you'd have to do a mini-mash to use them in a kit, but no worries. Steep them in a pot and add to your fermenter. I use them with all grain but there is not reason not to use with a kit too.

Back