Adding different malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I first started AG brewing I tried a few different malts added to the base malt, namely Wheat and Munich. And various crystal malts (inc Caramalt etc) of course.

I've now gone to just base malt and some crystal. I guess I couldn't really tell what difference Wheat and Munich were making: can anyone help me out? Maybe I wasn't adding enough, I usually went for 7-10% of the grain bill. Or maybe it's just my lack of taste.

Munich can be used as a base malt so 7-10% is far too low. I usually use it at around 20-25% but I’ve done higher.

Wheat malt at those %s might help with your head retention but won’t do much flavour-wise.

For crystal, 7-10% is probably spot on depending on style of beer etc.

10% wheat won't flavour your beer much. I sometimes use it in lagers for head retention. If you want to know what wheat brings to the table try brewing a wheat beer. 50% wheat and pilsner. You could try doing some SMASH beers. It's a great way to learn flavours. 100% Vienna and Saaz make a great Lager.

If you want to try something that really changes the taste of what you brew, try chocolate (roasted) wheat malt in place of roasted barley some time. ;) Or have a play switching out some crystal malt with some pale chocolate.

Fun times.

If you want to try something that really changes the taste of what you brew, try chocolate (roasted) wheat malt in place of roasted barley some time. ;) Or have a play switching out some crystal malt with some pale chocolate.

Fun times.
I tried that midnight wheat in a black IPA and it does the job without the harsh roasty notes of darker grains

I used it in a robust porter for the same reason, ended up with an incredibly smooth beer, hence my recommendation. athumb.. The harsh roasty notes are the one thing from some stoats that challenge me, and put my wife off dark beers completely. She LOVES my chocolate orange porter though, the first properly dark beer she's ever said that about.... All because of the lack of the harsh roasty notes.;) All without faffing with cold steeping grains etc.

In regards to Munich malt, I use Munich in every beer I brew. However, if you use Maris Otter as your base malt you need more of it to notice any flavour difference, basically because in smaller quantities the flavour that Munich adds is already present in Maris Otter. You notice it far more used alongside much paler malts, like a pilsner/lager malt, or with malts that don't have toasty/nutty in the profile. Or just use more of it. I also bought myself some dark Munich, as the darker the Munich, the stronger the effect you get from it. It's brilliant in a porter... :beer1:

I'm nuts about porters, you may have gathered, and am slowly working towards building 2 or 3 grists to use in different recipes, experimenting with different quantities of of dark munich, chocolate wheat, pale/normal chocolate, and I'm going to be trying brown malt in my next one too (for the record, I tend to think of my stout's as porters too, as at the end of the day what we call stout today was a stout porter....), as well as golden naked oats.

There are so many malts to experiment/play with, finding styles that allow some experimentation just lets you really have some fun! To me, porters (including stouts and bipas) are now my Saison for the colder months... The perfect beer to play with, with little risk of ruining it.

harsh roasty notes are the one thing from some stoats that challenge me, and put my wife off dark beers completely.
Well, I knew that stoats could produce a smell of musk from their anal glands when frightened - but I didn't know that it had a harsh roasty note. Still, it doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd want in my beer. I'm not surprised that it put your wife off........
Mind you, there is a tiny brewery in Aberdeen called StoatCraft (Yep, with "ft", not "p"), but I'm not sure how they use the little fellows ashock1

With sincere apologies to anyone from StoatCraft Brewery. I'm sure your beers are excellent - and that no stoats were harmed in their production!

Last edited:
Well, I knew that stoats could produce a smell of musk from their anal glands when frightened - but I didn't know that it had a harsh roasty note. Still, it doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd want in my beer. I'm not surprised that it put your wife off........
Mind you, there is a tiny brewery in Aberdeen called StoatCraft (Yep, with "ft", not "p"), but I'm not sure how they use the little fellows ashock1

With sincere apologies to anyone from StoatCraft Brewery. I'm sure your beers are excellent - and that no stoats were harmed in their production!

I'm not too keen on roasty ferrets either..... lmao Gods alone know why I put stoats and not stouts..... lol

Latest posts

Back