Adding dry hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodak79

Reaction score
I'm doing a Saison and adding 50g of Cluster, 50g of Pacific Jade and (maybe) 50g Hallertauer. The instructions I have say to "break up the hops with a knife and add 500ml of boiling water. Pulverise with knife in water for 2 minutes then use a spoon to transfer the hops only, leaving the liquid behind"
I was a bit surprised that it said any of this, especially the bit about not adding the liquid. I would have thought it was better to add the liquid but maybe using a lower temperaure (under 80 C to avoid bittering).
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Chris

sFirst off let me say I've only ever dry hopped a beer once, so tbh I'm probably not the bestperson to answer your Q. But seeing as noone has answered I'll have a bash by drawing on the general forum knowledge.

Tbh the instructions sound a bit odd. What are they part of? They sound almost like a mix of hop tea (I have done quite a lot of hops teas though) and dry hopping. There are forumites here that have dry hopped their beer to within an inch of it's life and all seem to do it in a generally accepted method give or take. So if was you, in the abscence of better advice, I'd ignore the instructions and follow this rather good guide by Terrym
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/a-newbies-guide-to-dry-hopping-your-beer.61045/

I’m guessing the boiling water is to kill any bacteria , but hops are natural anti bacterial so I’d say this was unnecessary.

When I dry hop I just throw them into the fermenter loose.

Interesting instructions, where did you get those? I'm guessing whoever wrote them was trying to turn leaf hops into something similar to pellet hops, and the water just maked things easier. I would imagine chopping up hops dry to be quite messy.

I just throw them into the fermenter also, I use pellet hops though, they're far better for this application. It's called dry hopping for a reason [emoji23].

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It was from the local(ish) homebrew shop in Chesterfield. It's their own brand called Beerworks.
Interestingly my friend got one of their AG kits and was less than impressed with the instructions.
Mine also said to ferment at 20 degrees....for a Saison, when looking up the Mangrove Jacks M29 yeast that came with it it said brew from 26-32.

Latest posts

Back