Adding mango to FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
My mango milkshake experiment has finished on 1.012, and I have 1.5kg of frozen mango chunks to add along with vanilla which is in the vodka as we speak. My question, what, if anything, do I do with the mango before adding? Mixed messages on Google of chucking straight in, putting in vodka, pastuerising, cover in star san.

Any thoughts?

Personally I would cover the mango with water, bring the water up to the boil, leave it to cool and then add water and mango to the brew.

That way, I would be sure that the mango wasn't going to introduce anything nasty to the brew.

Got the frozen stuff now based on a madfermentationist recipe. Just didn't know what to do with it prep wise and like I say loads of different ideas in the net. Might boil for a little while then mush it up a bit before chucking it in. That way any lost flavours in the boil will go in the FV as well.

On what scale does the mango come through? Would the tinned puree you can get at Asian stores be a better alternative as it is pasteurised?

I tried a tin in a DJ but it sank to the bottom and did not mix well. I have always just frozen fruit for a few days then defrosted and added. Boiling changes the flavour. Where can you buy frozen mango? I have some mango essence from MM but still cant decide if i really like it. Perhaps in conjunction.

Thanks i will buiy some and try it. I just re read the OP and have to say i didn't like adding vodka to my beer. I soaked vanilla pods in vodka to add to a stout and i was convinced i could taste the vodka. I hope your beer turns out well, let us know how it tastes. I think i might try a raw mango pale next week.

Latest posts

Back