Adding Mango to Secondary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torshon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have mango IPA going dry hopped and moved to secondary, I added the mango from and put it in a food processor before going into secondary.
The things is not a lot seems to be happening
Should I add more yeast!
Or Just let leave it for 2 weeks and check FG at the end.

Just not sure how to proceed, I would like some input please

Torshon

Hi all,
I have mango IPA going dry hopped and moved to secondary, I added the mango from and put it in a food processor before going into secondary.
The things is not a lot seems to be happening
Should I add more yeast!
Or Just let leave it for 2 weeks and check FG at the end.

Just not sure how to proceed, I would like some input please

Torshon
One of the problems with adding fruit is, folk add them without a bit of a boil, this kills any yeast or other bacteria which may be on the fruit. Freezing doesn't kill bacteria or yeast. You could be lucky and get away with it. If you mean there is no airlock activity, that is not so much as a worry.
See if the gravity is going down in a couple of days before adding more yeast

Doesn't have to show signs of rotting or anything else. Freezing kills bugger all, yeast and bacteria will survive, only heat kills anything on the fruit. If the gravity does go down lower than expected then you have a problem.

Hmmm, I didn't boil it because I watched a recipe on YouTube that didn't seem to and I thought I had asked on the forum before, but hopefully everything will be alright!
I actually had a double worry because I have a best bitter clone brew day on Friday and the wyeast 1099 took almost 72 to kick in!

Don't worry I sure it will be fine this time I have added frozen Fruit before and it has always survived I think the alcohol does help to kill any nasties most times as regards yeasts starting times some are slow to take off depends on pitch temp etc iread up on the yeast to see if people generally say that one is a slow starter if so consider doing a starter when using it next time. Plenty of advise on how to do a starter on this forum again just do a search

I too chucked frozen mango straight into the 2fv left it 7 days and bottled yesterday. Brew tasted fine so I would not worry. One thing though I will squeeze the bag next time to get more flavour then cold crash before bottling.

If I use fruit I put it in a BIAB bag in the Fv and squeeze the feck out of it

I think it will always be a hazy brew with loads of fruit in it if you prefer it less hazy try adding pectolase which may help but don't know 100%

the trouble with pureeing fruit is unless you put it in a bag to get the fruit out at the end you may have problems transferring as it can block the syphon up also it can cause blockages in cornies too I know did it with rhubarb which by the way was excellent in a IPA, I also lost quite a bit of beer as it is absorbed into the fruit

I bag mine too and weigh it down with some SS big spoons so that it is below the beer

Not a lot should be happening at all, or am I missing something? Sounds like you're adding the mango for flavour, not as a fermentable. So "nothing happening" is surely a good thing?

Freezing puree/pulp is a very popular method.

I would personally opt for soaking in alcohol (vodka or the like) and then dumping the booze into the FV. You don't need much if you use the right size/shape of bowl. Just enough to cover all the fruit, you won't taste it and it won't mess with your ABV. Line the bowl with a nylon hop bag, dump the fruit in - finely sliced or mashed, whatever you like. Dump the booze in, soak it for as long as you like. Pull the bag of fruit and pour the drink into the FV.

I add my fruit after 4 days so that it is still fermenting to use some of the fruits sugars up so the beer is not too sweet, works well for me

Latest posts

Back