Adding pectolase to an apple and raisin wine after ferment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yerbache

Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie question this one - I made a batch of apple and raisin wine the other week, but having no pectolase at the time didn't add any to the must. Now it's been in the demijohn a few weeks and I'm wondering if
a) I should add pectolase at all to aid the clearing?
b) If I do so now will it interfere with fermentation?

TIA

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Part b) should be irrelevant because, no, it wouldn't interfere with anything, but if it's been in a DJ for “a few weeks” I would have thought fermentation might have finished by now. Is the airlock still popping and can you see any fine bubbles still rising if you look closely around the shoulder of the DJ ?

I wouldn't add anything now unless you were doing anything else at the same time. Have you taken a gravity reading and does it look like your wine might be anywhere near ready for racking? Add the pectolase when you rack.

Thanks very much and apologies for the lack of introduction :whistle:

So far, apart from the previously mentioned gallon of apple and raisin, I have made 2 gallons of parsnip wine and 1 of birch sap, so you could say I'm a complete novice!

I don't yet own a hydrometer so I haven't yet taken the SG of any of my wines (it's on the shopping list for next week!), but the parsnip and birch sap were both successful. There is some settling of the lees taking place and fermentation is still going on, so I will take your advice and add it when racking. :cheers:

yerbache said:
So far, apart from the previously mentioned gallon of apple and raisin, I have made 2 gallons of parsnip wine and 1 of birch sap, so you could say I'm a complete novice!
Well you're one up on me :clap: I've never made birch sap.

Highly recommended, very simple recipe and it turned out to be smooth, beautiful flavour, surprisingly light for a wine which was actually very strong! Fortunately I am a forester by trade so I can pick the best trees and nab the sap at the right time. :D

yerbache said:
Fortunately I am a forester by trade so I can pick the best trees and nab the sap at the right time. :D
Oh I have tried it and know it can make a very nice wine, but your last sentence is the clincher. I don't know of any birch trees within a convenient radius which I could tap, or at least none where my taps and jars wouldn't be interfered with by kids.

AS above ,would love to do birch sap wine but theres none that wont be interfered with.....sad, innit . I do a fair bit of hedge laying but I dont see the size or quality let alone amount of birch needed .

Latest posts

Back