Adding some dried fruit to Brewferm Christmas Ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indewildemanfan

Reaction score
I'm currently maturing some Brewferm Christmas beer in my garage and was toying with the idea of getting another batch and perhaps making it even richer by adding some dried fruit during the fermentation process. I was wondering at what stage I should do this? Would it be simply a case of lobbing in a bag of Asda's dried fruit when I pitch the yeast in? Should I wait until it has finished it's primary fermentation? How much fruit would be enough? Would I still need to prime prior to bottling? Any other ideas for what I can add would be most welcomed.

What sort of flavours were you hoping for? For warming and "winey" raisins would be good. Just whizz them in the food processor and bung them in at the start.

For something more zingy christmas you could go with dried cranberries but watch out, it's difficult to find unsweetened ones. I think I would want to use these towards the end of fermentation though as it's the flavour of the fruit you want rather than the fermentation by products like with raisins... :thumb:

Back