Adding sugar for a higher ABV. Any effect on flavour?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm about to brew AG number 113, so just a beginner, really.
The other day I had a delightful pint in a local micro pub, the Bob Inn, a market stall in our covered market. It was 6% ABV and had the typical heavy, sweet flavour I'd associate with ales of this strength.
I had already bought the Maris Otter for my next pale ale but could always increase the OG to around 1.060 with sugar. My question is, would this do anything for sweetness and hence mouthfeel or would it just increase the alcohol content?

113? Wouldn't say thats begininger by a long stretch

No it wouldn't sweeten it.. it would make it drier probably thiner and stronger..

For sweetness you need to look at cara malts, mash temp and also choice of yeast can have a significant impact.

I often use sugar to increase ABV. Never use more than 500g which equates to about 1% extra ABV in a 5 gallon brew.
Of course that assumes you're using enough pale malt to already give you the body and sweetness you require.

If you add all sugar it will all ferment out to produce alcohol and CO2 and will contribute no sweetness or body. If you are thinking of sweetness and mouthfeel have you considered a crystal malt grain steep? And some brewers use maltodextrin (found in some beer enhancers) and this may provide what you are looking for.

Glad I asked. I do use crystal. Usually 250g to get some sweetness with Gervin GV12 yeast, which is Nottingham yeast, apparently. What amount of crystal do you think would be a reasonable maximum in a 23l brew?

Ruby Mild by Sarah Hughes has 900g in 23L. The recipe is in the GW book and it is not particularly over-powering, sweetness wise.

Ruby Mild by Sarah Hughes has 900g in 23L. The recipe is in the GW book and it is not particularly over-powering, sweetness wise.
Sounds good. I'll definitely up my crystal. I've been stuck in a brewing rut for a while. Not that it's a bad rut to be stuck in!
A bit more detail might help. I overnight mash to save time on brewday. The dog wants to be out before 11am, you see. I know that overnight mashes tend to break down the long chain unfermentables, leaving a drier finish. I just didn't want to add too much crystal without consulting the collective experience in case I got a strange flavour.
I once had a 500g bag of amber malt and thought I may as well bung it all in. The result was just too much. A sweet and cloying flavour. I drank it but it would have been better with much less amber.

Glad I asked. I do use crystal. Usually 250g to get some sweetness with Gervin GV12 yeast, which is Nottingham yeast, apparently. What amount of crystal do you think would be a reasonable maximum in a 23l brew?

Try a different yeast, gervin attenuation is pretty high so it will fall on the drier side.. Its a decent enough yeast but pretty boring IMO..

Try something with a medium attenuation..

What I like about the Gervin is that it doesn't get disturbed when you pour. You may be right though. I'll take advice on an alternative for my next brew, which having checked in my book will be #115. Don't know who drank all that!
I'm brewing this morning and have upped the crystal to 350g, so it's 4kg Maris O, 350g crystal. 20g Target @ 60 mins, 15g Target @ 15 mins, coll to 80C adding 75g Cascade and reused Gervin yeast. I'll add the remaining 25g Cascade as a dry hop.
I expect 23l @ OG 1.050. I'm just about to reach boiling point having drained and sparged and it's still only 8.15am. Time for a cup of tea.:cheers9:

Hi Dux after 115 brews you can do better than chucking white sugar in your beer :-} try making your own invert sugar (dont get too hotter you'l ruin it!) it wont give you any 'apple tastes' and depending how dark you make it will add colour and flavour and it ferments out.

Generally you should aim for a certain SG and adjust the mash accordingly.
Adding sugar makes your brew easier to drink.
Thats why its so common in Belgian beer styles. A 9% tripel needs some sugar to make it less of a chewing beer.

Latest posts

Back