Adding tea and coffee at bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Morning all

I have a simple cascade pale just finishing up and plan to bottle in 2/3 days. I have 2 x 10 litres in total so should get a reasonable batch of 35-40 bottles. I was thinking of experimenting with a majority of the batch at bottling. My plan is at the same time of priming each bottle I want add an amount of tea (Earl Grey, hibiscus etc) and coffee.

I just wondered the best way to go about it in terms of amount/volume per bottle and how to make sure its sanitary. I was thinking a certain number of bags steeped in a certain amount of water and similarly a certain amount of good quality ground coffee brewed in a cafetiere. Then using a syringe add the said volume of tea/coffee to each bottle.

What do we think? Simple enough?

Thanks in advance

Just a thought, but would it be easier/more accurate to add the tea/coffee directly to the FV, like batch priming? It would save the hassle of getting it into each bottle and would therefore cut down on risk of infection.

I've added tea at flameout before, with great success, but never at bottling. Am interested to know the results!

Hi iz_g. Probably, but not bothered about the hassle at this stage. As mentioned I want to experiment with different styles of tea and coffee. Just need to know the best way for flavor and safety from infection.

I watched a Youtube video from the US were a homebrewer and tea curator brewed with tea and they mentioned one method was adding during priming/bottling but didn't mention the method. So assume its a goer.

If I get enough feedback and info I will proceed with the experiment and post the outcome....

Thanks

Ah sorry - I was thinking the same addition to each bottle. Definitely give it a go, a good chance to experiment with proportions.

Regarding coffee, it seems people recommend doing a cold brew, to avoid certain acids.

Thanks for the tip. Really appreciate it.

So I assume the way to approach the coffee to avoid the acid situation and minimize risk of infection is to cold steep the coffee in a sanitized cafetiere, with bottled water and ground coffee straight out of a fresh packet (assuming the water and coffee were packaged in sanitary conditions). And cross my fingers.

Then the tea I suppose steep x number of bags in x volume of water (at around 60-70c to avoid tannin extraction). Then remove tea bags and boil the resulting tea for a while to sanitize.

Reading back the above methods seem plausible (unless anyone can advise otherwise) but scratching me head at the amounts.

This is pure conjecture at this point. I'll probably nause it up somehow.

Back