adding tequila and lime prior bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graham gillam

Reaction score
Will soon be bottling some coopers mexican cerveza was thinking of adding along side the priming sugar 5ml lime juice 10ml tequila just into 10 bottles: 500ml pet bottles. Concern is would this affect carbonization? has anybody done this what was the result? or introduce the lime and tequila earlier on in the process? just an experiment if it turns out a fail will only be 10 bottles affected

I doubt it will affect carbonisation. We add lots of extra flavours to cider and ipas in larger quantities than you and had no problem.

I've not tried what you have suggested, going to give it a go, love a despies.

I'm unashamedly drinking a desperados as I speak and thinking about how to brew one. Looking at the ingredients, they use citric acid (for the lime) and tequila flavouring (look for still spirit flavouring). Shouldn't be too hard to source

I think you need to try it
A few points to note.
The lime wont affect the yeasties (Fresh from an actual lime) AVOID cordial with sorbates !!!!!!
To much tequela will. ( Adding spirit is how they stop refermentation when backsweetening champagne.It only takes a little.)

thanks for the replies and yes i will be using fresh limes like i said will just be experimenting with 10 bottles out of the batch so gonna give it a whirl. I'll let you know how it turns out

As it's an experiment why not do 12 or 14 bottles, and do 2-3 bottles of different quantities of lime and tequila. Could get you closer to the mark

If you go as planned you could have 10 ruined beers and be unsure if it's like or the tequila.

Hmm not a bad idea gudders i'll up it to 15 bottles 5 sets of 3 with differing quantities of lime and tequila. looking like bottling on Friday

Last edited:
Following with antici.......pation. This is how im going to spend my pocket money come payday, might be able to get extra if i bribe the wife with the left over tequilla.

I suspect it will be lethal, more than shop bought, wether i keg it or bottle it its almost double a standard bottle and HB has a tendancy to be higher than off the shelf !

Your a Rocky horror show fan.
Come on admit it.!!!!

Most wives come round in the end.
At least she knows what you are doing of.

My mum loved my fathers winemaking activities as she could entertain her friends at low cost.

Ive only added sherry and whisky to beers and then aged for a while before bottling, fermentation has worked out really good with no problems.

I reckon its all down to the yeast you use if you you use a high alcohol tolerent yeast any problems will be diminished

Well 2 weeks in the bottle time for a tester. All i can say WoW 6ml tequila 12 ml lime in a 500 ml bottle hit the mark nicely carbonated well the bottles felt rock hard. only thing i found missing was just a tad of sweetness compared to the bottle i bought at the corner shop, but a tad of lemonade sorted that. Even the wife liked mine against the shop bought in a blind taste test, well impressed ordering my next mexican from coopers now doing half half with this one

Excellent, my kit has just finished 3 weeks in PF. Going to transfer today for cold crash and lager for a few weeks. Going to add a mix the T&L in a few now and then do a few from the bottling step see how that affects it.

Good luck hope it turns out great and enjoy it as much as i did you'll have to let us know how it turns out. got another Mexican fermenting away now :)

Well i did a silly thing, I did the suggested 6ml and also made a few 10ml, but even that wasnt the mistake because a few select bottles got a 20ml treatment. Wowzer do they do the job. Going to remake and stick to 6 or maybe 4 even!

How quickly have you gotten the through beer? Tonight I've had one or two different tequila mixers and they taste a bit of and over fizzy and bitter aftertaste

i've gotten through the beer now. I had a sample after 2 weeks in bottle taste wasn't to great left it for anther 4 and the change was really good. Yes got a bit fizzy after a while will cut down on priming sugar next time. But like i said in a previous post i but a bit of lemonade in just a little splash to add some sweetness. Shop bought does taste sweet. How much lime have you put in?

Latest posts

Back