Adding/using raspberries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Evening all

I've got a 10l gose fermenting at the moment. I'm going to add frozen shop bought raspberries (currently in the freezer). I basically have a few questions with regards to amount, sanitation etc.

Firstly I was thinking of adding around 1.4k to my 10l brew. Too little, too much or about right?

As for sanitizing. I was thinking of just letting them thaw (in the bag) and add without a pasteurizing/sanitizing step (apart from spraying the bag and scissors with star san). Most of the videos I have watched, people tend to add them straight from the packet. Is this ok?

As for the form, I was just going to 'scrunch' the thawed unopened bags in my hands (so somewhere between solid and puree). What do you suggest?

Also straight in to primary or rack to secondary? I have never racked to a secondary or bottling bucket before as haven't really needed to. I have used citrus peel/zest a few times and they have floated for a while then settled in the trub (with decent results). If I end up adding pureed/semi pureed raspberries to primary I assume it will sink straight in to the trub and the wort will not take on the colour/flavour.
Obviously my reluctance to use a secondary vessel is due to oxidation (as I usually brew hoppy pales and worry about the detrimental effect on the hops). As this is a gose with just 30g of saaz is this as much of an issue?

I have read a few threads on the forum and watched a few videos already but still a little confused/unsure (not hard)....

Sorry to bombard you lot with loads of questions.

I'm not sure about the amount, but other than that I would go with;
  • Just letting them thaw (in the bag) and add without a pasteurizing/sanitizing step (apart from spraying the bag and scissors with star san).
  • 'Scrunch' the thawed unopened bags in my hands, although I don't think this wouldbe a very important step.
  • Straight in to primary

I did a raspberry beer last year, and it ended up been very good, the wife even gave it the thumbs up and she doesn’t normally drink beer.
I used fresh raspberries my mother in law got from her allotment.

I added them to boiling water for about 30 seconds. I used 600g.

I fermenter my beer for about 2 weeks in the primary, then took off about 10l and added to a secondary and left for 3 days, then bottled.

1.4kg sounds quite a lot for 10l, don’t think it will be detrimental though.
I think you need to let the fermentation finish before adding them in.
I would just add them to the primary I don’t think it will have any issues doing so, also adding to a secondary I’m sure would be fine as well, I think a lot of people put too much focus on oxidisation, if the beer will get drunk in 6 months can’t see it been an issue.

I’m no expect and never used frozen raspberries but what you say let thaw and slightly mash I think would work well

Cheers chaps. I appreciate it.

Was thinking of sticking them in after 7-10 days and leaving them in contact for around 4-7 days respectively (give or take).

Thanks for the replies.

Red- Very helpful. Will prob scale back a little now.

Rich - Like the no hassle approach. As long as it sounds about right attitude will do me.
……….

In general if I do decide to transfer to a secondary (mainly to make bottling a little less agg), after the residual yeast has dealt with the fruit sugars will there be enough left in suspension to carb the bottles?
I used an 11g pack of Safale K-97 @ 19c….

Thanks in advance one and all….

Latest posts

Back