Ade's Self Build Boiler Brew Days - AG BIAB #12

Discussion in 'Beer Brewdays!' started by AdeDunn, Jul 19, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 19, 2018 #1

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

POTUS-45 Grisette Thing (It's actually number 13, just realised.... My Mosaic IPA was number 12.... lol)

So, new kit, and new methodology, so started a new thread.

Trying for a full volume, recirculated, BIAB. Treated the water, starting with RO then rebuilding with calcium chloride flakes, epsom salt and gypsum. Little bit of acid in the form of 80% lactic acid.

Targets:-

Aiming for a batch size of 20 litres (yeah right... lol). OG of 1.032. FG of 1.000. Bitterness (IBUs): 19.5 Tinseth. Colour: 17.0 EBC. 4.3% ABV alc estimated.

I'm going to be using Fermentis Safale BE-134 Belgian Saison yeast for this baby. Quite a new kid on the block, could only find it for sale from Brew UK.

Grain/Fermentables (70 minute mash at 64.4 degrees C)

1kg 3 EBC Wheat malt
    .8 Kg 17.7 EBC Munich Malt
    .8 Kg 3.2 EBC Dingemans Pilsen Malt
    .13 Kg 290.6 EBC Digemans Special B
    .12 Kg 124.1 EBC Weyermann Caramunich II

100g honey 5 minutes before end of boil

Hops (60 minute boil)

7g Magnum whole hops 13.2% AA @ 60 minutes bittering
    10g Jester whole hops 8% AA @ 15 minutes
    20g Jester whole hops 8% AA @ 5 minutes
    70g Jester whole hops 8% AA @ flame out

Pics in a moment, need to check it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. Jul 19, 2018 #2

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

Ok, it's fine. One thing I know now, I need to not get as close to the rim whilst mashing, as get a teeny tiny bit of wicking when this close... lol

Anyway, other things I've got tuned in is I can maintain temps spot on with the power control set at 50%, gives me a nice steady temperature with no big swings either way. I reached this via trial and error. Tiny grain bill, so I have been able to run the pump practically at full whack.

IMG_20180719_085116.jpg

IMG_20180719_085547.jpg

IMG_20180719_091912.jpg

IMG_20180719_113648.jpg

IMG_20180719_114232.jpg

IMG_20180719_115028.jpg

IMG_20180719_121854.jpg

3. Jul 19, 2018 #3

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

Ok, first off, that last post I actually started posting a while ago, then had to go off and do brewing stuff, hence the big overlap here...

I'm actually into the boil now, having lifted the bag and drained it.

IMG_20180719_133906.jpg

Gave it a darn good squeeze too (grain soup anybody?). Possibly a bit down on my mash efficiency (got 1.024 on my refractometer, estimate was 1.027) however I'd estimate I was over on volume into boil (estimate was 27.51, looked way more than that). All to be expected though with new kit AND new methods. Need to tune it in yet. Heck, first time I've used Beersmith 3 for the entire brew build and calculations even, I usually build in BIABacus...

Got to a nice rolling boil quite quickly. Not as insane as both elements on my old boiler, but not the pathetic one I used to get with just the 1600 watt element either. I tried to get a pic, but as always you get the flat between the rolls....

IMG_20180719_142802.jpg
    IMG_20180719_142534.jpg
    Bit lop sided thanks to only one element, but it should do the job.

Got the pump set up ready to whirlpool (if it works...).

IMG_20180719_140906.jpg
    Panel doing it's business (power regulator isn't actually in the circuit, it's not needed) coming up to the boil.

IMG_20180719_140855.jpg

Oh well, I'd best sanitize the FV and re-hydrate the yeast....

Attached Files:

4. Jul 19, 2018 #4

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

Oops, guess who forgot to either bag the hops, or put a hop filter on the pump intake.... No prizes for guessing how the whirl-pooling worked out.... lmao Had to do it with my wine degassing wand. Now letting it settle before I transfer to FV.

5. Jul 19, 2018 #5

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

Ok, in all honest, I'm not happy with the build. It needs some tweaks.

First up, the whole pick up tube with a spontex scourer thing over it as a hop filter thing... It doesn't work, at all. It clogs within milliseconds using whole hops. You take the scourer off, the pick up tube itself clogs up just as quickly. Back to a bazooka there then. I ended up having to transfer using a sanitised jug, by hand, through a sanitised sieve to try to filter out the hop bits. It looks like I have 21 litres in the FV, but once the trub compacts down and I account for it I'll be lucky to get 19 litres into packaging, more likely 18. Ultimately I'm looking to move back to hop pellets (my wife wants her freezer back...), but I still need to be able to transfer the wort into the FV....

Next up, yeah that pump inlet absolutely NEEDS a hop filter on it if I am going to use it to whirlpool. No ifs, no buts. The whirl-pool worked great, for the few seconds it took the pump to clog up.... lol

The BIAB bag, talk about saggy and horrid! Need to secure it better in future when doughing in. It ended up all pulled down into the pan, with all folds full of grain... It's like a big floppy thing that just wants to float around and swirl!!!

On the bright side, I hit my target OG bang on! 1.032 on the dot post boil. Be assured, this pic ISN'T what we took the reading from, it's just for illustrative purposes. I got fed up of trying to get the sample on a level surface etc.

OGOfPOTUS45.jpg

6. Jul 22, 2018 #6

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

Lots of reasons for doing this, not least of which:-

Getting plenty of brews in before Severn Trent drop the hose pipe ban hammer.
    Getting plenty of brews in where the yeasts likes it on the warm side whilst we have the heatwave.
    My wife is sick of all off the hops in the freezer (the big pause in my brewing caused by my old kit burning out on me didn't help there...)...
    I need to test the tweaks I made to my boiler...

So, brew day #14, Wen's Lunch, Patersbier Revisited!

Targets:-

Target Batch Size: 23 Litres into FV. Estimated OG: 1.043. Estimated BH Efficiency 70%. Estimated FG: 1.004 (? Ok...). Colour: 5.1 EBC. Bitterness (IBUs): 17 Tinseth.

Recipe etc:-

Mash: BIAB Full volume (almost, 24.04 litres) @ 65 degrees C for 90 minutes. Mash out @ 75.6 degrees C over 15 minutes (rising over 15 minutes).

4500g Dingemans Pilsen malt 3.2 EBC.

Boil: + 4 litres kettle top up (estimated), boil for 70 minutes.
    All hops whole hops:-

@ 60 minutes 48g Saaz 3.5% AA

@15 1/2 Protafloc tablet

@10 minutes 22g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 3% AA

Re-hydrate 1 packet Mangrove Jack's M41 Belgian Ale yeast.

Into FV, top up/dilute to 23 litres, and/or OG of 1.043.

Oh and the water, yeah, RO water treated to the good old yellow balance profile, with about 3mls of 80% lactic acid to drop the mash pH with it been such pale malt.

My first foray into out door brewing too!

IMG_20180722_170524.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  7. Jul 22, 2018 #7

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

Ok, so one lesson learned the hard way... When brewing outside have a mind to where you are in relation to a suitable drain for the immersion chiller.... Carting buckets of cooling water around the garden is NOT fun in the dark.... Or the light of day I should imagine....

Future tweak, either invest in a hop filter with a larger surface area, or bite the bullet and just buy a hop spider already.... It's struggling somewhat.

8. Jul 23, 2018 #8

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

Right, time to wrap this up for the night.

Brewing in the dark was, well, amusing you might say.... lol

BrewingInTheDark.jpg

Not bad over all, for one thing transferring to FV went like a dream. Fair bit of trub transferred at the start, but the hops kicked in and did that filter thing eventually and I was able to open the tap up a little more.

Transfer.jpg

I changed my volumes a little though by the by, I added 6 litres to the boil as kettle top up as I had plenty of space for it. This meant I had 20 litres transferred into FV at the end of the night, with an SG of 1.050. Beersmith 3 dilution tool to hand, and 3 litres later my OG was bang on target of 1.043 with the target 23 litres in the FV. So yeah, my volumes must have all been bang on target or something too, as I game out with my target OG AND target batch volume:-

TwentyThreeInFV.jpg

9. Aug 4, 2018 #9

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

Couple of updates.

First up, POTUS-45. Seems that that yeast is one of those that likes to slow right down near the end. On the 27 and 29th of last month SG was 1.004, today it's down to 1.002. So yeah, another slow and steady in the end Saison yeast. First samples were pretty meh tasting to be honest, latest sample though is much more hoppy, like a subtle cascade, so hoppy with a little citrus there. Should make a good warm weather quaffer I'd say. Colour is a good amber.

Wen's Lunch. The MJ M41 Belgian Ale yeast has been rocketing through this. SG taken yesterday, down to 1.002 for 95.2% apparent attenuation already. Tasted the sample, was delicious! Much nicer than the last Patersbier I made using the CML yeast.