adjustable flow taps connected to ball lock on keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you want to attach directly to the keg? I've found a good 6 foot of thin beer line helps me reduce foam. Going direct would mean I'd have to drop my pressure right back, and have a low carbed beer.

As above you really do need some line to balance the flow of the beer or its ice cream for you as a general rule

Unless you're purging, using them to serve at a party for a few hours at about 1 psi, then regassing... basically you've just upped the arms race in this fight:

Thanks folks. As I said, I already use a long thin beer line to balance the flow but these taps are advertised as being able to connect directly to the keg. I often take 19L kegs or 10L mini kegs with a C02 bottle to festivals the like and a tap that fitted directly to the keg would be more convenient than having a coiled length of pipe flapping around. These are advertised as being suitable to do this. So has anybody tried one of these as advertised below?

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collections/taps/products/intertap-flow-control-keg-mounted

Watching the keg land video for the flow control ball lock disconnect as Foxbat mentioned, they use it to connect an ordinary tap directly to the keg so perhaps that is a better choice.

I started kegging with a ball lock mounted intertap flow control tap and it does work but you need to set the flow near minimum and drop the keg pressure before serving, works well for parties as mentioned by @Drunkula

Recently moved to a plastic beer gun with a length of 3/16 line and it's much less prone to foam, even when not purging the keg pressure.

Any tap will do, cheaper the better. Just balance the pressure against the beer line for a nice pour.

Plenty fancy calculators you can use, but in my experience. Just start off with longer than you need and keep cutting back until the balance between speed of pour and foaming is sound.

The beauty of balancing your beer lines also is that you can match your carbonating and serving pressures so there's never any real need to adjust your regulator. Set and forget.

Watching the keg land video for the flow control ball lock disconnect as Foxbat mentioned, they use it to connect an ordinary tap directly to the keg so perhaps that is a better choice.
Those are the ones I have. Or very similar looking anyway. But pricey. Check out @Gareth Davies website, dark farm, for the ones I have plus my review. Had them a while now and they are excellent. No issues with foaming and I pour at around 10 psi. I highly recommend them.

Thanks folks. As I said, I already use a long thin beer line to balance the flow but these taps are advertised as being able to connect directly to the keg. I often take 19L kegs or 10L mini kegs with a C02 bottle to festivals the like and a tap that fitted directly to the keg would be more convenient than having a coiled length of pipe flapping around. These are advertised as being suitable to do this. So has anybody tried one of these as advertised below?

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collections/taps/products/intertap-flow-control-keg-mounted

This thread is a bit old, but for what it's worth, I've got one of the intertap flow control taps, and yes it works fine connected right to the keg. It took a bit of time to get used to. At first, the first few beers in a keg were always foamy, until I learned that initially it needs only a few psi (1-3) to dispense. (so release the 30 pounds holding pressure, then add 1-3 psi, depending on how much you need to push the beer) After the first few beers, you can crank it up to 10 (at least for the IPA I'm making).

Just be careful running Cornies at low pressure especially if left hooked up as it may not be enough pressure to keep it sealed fully and you could wake upto a empty gas cylinder. Be Warned

Just be careful running Cornies at low pressure especially if left hooked up as it may not be enough pressure to keep it sealed fully and you could wake upto a empty gas cylinder. Be Warned

excellent point, Baron! I tend to turn off the gas when I'm not dispensing, just to be sure, but I've been lucky enough to only have experienced a leaky corny once. Had to turn up the pressure in that case to seal it up, and ended up with a few foamy beers at the start. I replaced the O ring after the keg kicked, and it's been good since then. +1 to everyone who recommends regular lubing!

I have those same taps but connected via about 1m of 8mm ID line. If it's foamy, I reduce the flow and it does help a lot. Usually no problems with keg around 10-15psi.

Hi,

The way I deal with the foaming issue is to change the tub inside the keg. Use a silicon tube with diameter of 1 to 1.5mm and a stainless barb to barb connector to step down in size.

works very well

best wishes.

Back