Adjustment for whole hops vs. pellets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing a friend's Hefeweizen recipe today... his has 10g of Magnum as pellets in a 23L batch, but I have Magnum as whole (dried!!) hops - any guidance please on whether I need to adjust the quantity (and if so, by how much)
Many thanks in advance athumb..

I sort of hope the IBU rating for the pelleted hops if for the pelleted hops and not the whole hops they are created from? (Pelleting "mechanically" concentrates the hops - much of the dross, like stalks, is removed). As for the aroma compounds, perhaps they don't decay as much with time? Whippee! Wishful thinking but who cares.

I treat pelleted hops exactly the same as whole hops. The exception being "BBC" hops which I don't "age" as rigidly (50%) when adjusting the IBUs to compensate for their age* (e.g. "Fuggles" are reckoned to lose 35% of their IBUs every six months ... it's "Hop Storage Index" ... at "room" temperature. So, I apply 17-18% as the "HSI").

If I'm not right, it's what I've been doing for years!

Computers are just great time wasters assistance for all sorts of things.

*Highly scientific evaluation. I've got another ... if you wet your finger and stick above your head, you can tell the exact wind-speed and direction! :groupdancing:I think?

I sort of hope the IBU rating for the pelleted hops if for the pelleted hops and not the whole hops they are created from? (Pelleting "mechanically" concentrates the hops - much of the dross, like stalks, is removed). As for the aroma compounds, perhaps they don't decay as much with time? Whippee! Wishful thinking but who cares.

I treat pelleted hops exactly the same as whole hops. The exception being "BBC" hops which I don't "age" as rigidly (50%) when adjusting the IBUs to compensate for their age* (e.g. "Fuggles" are reckoned to lose 35% of their IBUs every six months ... it's "Hop Storage Index" ... at "room" temperature. So, I apply 17-18% as the "HSI").

If I'm not right, it's what I've been doing for years!

Computers are just great time wasters assistance for all sorts of things.

*Highly scientific evaluation. I've got another ... if you wet your finger and stick above your head, you can tell the exact wind-speed and direction! :groupdancing:I think?
Thanks @peebee - I wonder if pellets might have a greater 'effect' due to their increased surface area once the pellet breaks down in the boil...?

Back