Admiral boss gives staff £10m as retirement farewell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A nice gesture and something you don't see very often unfortunately.

1600454104997.png

BBC news - Retiring boss gives staff £10m to say thank you

A boss is giving his staff £10m as a thank-you to mark his retirement.

The gift from Admiral's Chief Executive David Stevens and his wife Heather will be shared between 7,500 staff in south Wales and 3,000 overseas.

Full-time workers will get £1,000 with part-time staff receiving £500.

Mr Stevens, who co-founded the Cardiff-based motor insurance company with his wife in 1991, said he was "proud and fortunate to have worked with a such a special group of people".

"Saying thank you to all Admiral staff in this way is the right thing to do," he said.

"Their hard work and dedication has allowed Admiral to grow from a start-up to over 11,000 staff worldwide.

"And all of this while remaining a great place to work. Thank you from myself and my wife to everyone at Admiral."

It follows a similar gesture by former chief executive - and fellow co-founder - Henry Engelhardt who gave a £1,000 retirement thank you to full-time staff back in 2016, which at the time came to about £7m.

Mr Stevens is being succeeded as chief executive by Milena Mondini de Focatilis.

Admiral was launched selling car insurance over the phone in Cardiff with a team of just 57.

Its other UK offices are in Swansea and Newport, with overseas sites in Spain, Italy, France, Canada, the US and India.

Last edited:
Every boss at admiral as been very generous of so I hear. My cousin works in the Swansea officers and gives them high praise. Perhaps the large share package she was given was some of it.

When I left uni I did some freelance work whilst working out what I wanted to do. Got offered a 2 days work at admiral. Only took 1 day but was given the full £2000. It was the day they floated on the stock market and the American owner came and had a chat, ending up giving me 2 bottles of champagne which I put away and ending up giving them to people as gifts, turns out they were worth a few quid.

My Company could learn from this! I get a £300 loyalty bonus after 30 years service hahahahahahahahahahahaha, on principle i will leave after 29 years :laugh8: :coat:acheers.
I got 250 quid for 25 years service and i left after 29 years took volantry redundacy and got a nice pay out athumb.. i didn't have to leave as i was only 63 at the time in 2017 but i thought feckit why not

I cant complain as my employer gives twice yearly bonus dependant on how profitable it has been with a 60hr sick bonus payable if you haven't had any sick time then as well as a pay rise this year they gave a £700 Covid bonus for those who worked during the pandemic height and the equivalent worldwide.

Good for him. I’m an Admiral customer and their call centre staff are the best I’ve ever come across. Nice to see them recognised in this way.

I’ve got one of my cars with them and got a £25 refund during lockdown because people weren’t driving as much so they shared what they expected to pay out during that time. It’ll hardly make a dent in the mortgage but it’s a great gesture. Better than policy expert who ignored my 10 calls and then changed the local wind speeds from 69mph to 50mph so my claim couldn’t be classed as storm damage. A lot of companies could learn from them. Good customer service and looking after employees goes a long way!

Where I work we've been virtually abandoned since March...around 15 men on 4 shifts running machines,warehouse,chems processing etc...and sometimes a chocolate fireguard team leader. Absolutely no sign of any management or admin in six months. We found out that management and staff had pay rises,some massive promotion and bonus..senior managers had up to 10k...we got offered less than 1%...which we rejected by ballot and they've chucked the dummies out their prams! Factory is running at around 90% of last year which was a record year...and picking up.
Talk about feeling under valued....sack of bastards...

Where I work we've been virtually abandoned since March...around 15 men on 4 shifts running machines,warehouse,chems processing etc...and sometimes a chocolate fireguard team leader. Absolutely no sign of any management or admin in six months. We found out that management and staff had pay rises,some massive promotion and bonus..senior managers had up to 10k...we got offered less than 1%...which we rejected by ballot and they've chucked the dummies out their prams! Factory is running at around 90% of last year which was a record year...and picking up.
Talk about feeling under valued....sack of bastards...
We were all given 96hrs leave for childcare and such until late in June when it kicked off plus we were given 96hrs pandemic leave to take as needed in respect of catching COVID19, a lot of whom have taken it but no symptoms though I've taken nothing as was not needed. Our senior management have been visible throughout be it reduced with working from home and shift management like ourselves present always.

Latest posts

Back