Admundsen Super Santa Choco Shake Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awfers

Reaction score
When I opened the can, it did smell incredible, like the most chocolate chocolate thing in the world. I was impressed at how they were able to get this across in the nose of a beer.

I poured it in a glass and it continued to smell incredible.

That all changed once I tasted it...

It was horrible... tasting mostly of cacao with some malt sweetness, but in an unpleasant way, too sickeningly chocolate. So much so, I was unable to take more than a few sips before my body said "no more!". I wouldn't say it made me want to vomit, but my stomach was not liking it.

I am not sure if it was artificially flavoured or flavoured with some sort of chocolate/cacao extract (the ingredients listed "AROMA (Chocolate)". Whatever was giving the chocolate flavour / aroma was still present in my stomach over two hours later (I drank a lager and had some crisps as was still burping chocolate flavour).

I do not want to repeat that again..

When I opened the can, it did smell incredible, like the most chocolate chocolate thing in the world. I was impressed at how they were able to get this across in the nose of a beer.

I poured it in a glass and it continued to smell incredible.

That all changed once I tasted it...

It was horrible... tasting mostly of cacao with some malt sweetness, but in an unpleasant way, too sickeningly chocolate. So much so, I was unable to take more than a few sips before my body said "no more!". I wouldn't say it made me want to vomit, but my stomach was not liking it.

I am not sure if it was artificially flavoured or flavoured with some sort of chocolate/cacao extract (the ingredients listed "AROMA (Chocolate)". Whatever was giving the chocolate flavour / aroma was still present in my stomach over two hours later (I drank a lager and had some crisps as was still burping chocolate flavour).

I do not want to repeat that again..
These "new brewers" have lost the plot in trying to be different. They should try making a great balanced ale using Golding and Fuggles for a change.

I was at Basqueland Brewery this year with the owners and brewers.
They was going to brew a stout with Amundsen but refused once they found out they only use extract and not actual adjuncts

I was at Basqueland Brewery this year with the owners and brewers.
They was going to brew a stout with Amundsen but refused once they found out they only use extract and not actual adjuncts

That explains it then. It did taste somewhat artificial. I could not understand how they made the chocolate aroma that intense using normal cacao / chocolate...

Back