Adnams Broadside (bottled version)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
My "online" home brew club does a monthly "Tasting" of a commercial beer during a chat session. Each month, we take turns picking one beer and then everyone buys that beer and we get into chat and do a tasting. It was my turn for September so I chose Adnams Broadside in the bottled version. It's much higher abv (6.5%) than the draught version. Many of my fellow American homebrewers have never had a commercial English beer let alone brewed one. So this is my attempt to help them discover something new. :-)

I will post our review/tasting notes tomorrow.

Baz

Visual
Deep amber and very clear. Lots of bubbles.

Aroma
A bit of alcohol. Dark fruits. Caramel. No noticeable hop aroma.

Taste
Definite hop bitterness, almost astringent. Lots of dark cherries and caramel or toffee. Grainy. The flavor opened up as the beer warmed.

Thoughts
Some were looking for more hop character. There didn't seem to be a lot of hop flavor. We got a bit of cardboard. It looks like based on the date, our beers were from 2011. We all liked this beer and the alcohol snuck up a bit. It's a nice beer. We'd love to try the draft version.

We all agreed we'd love to have tasted a fresh version of the draught. This held up very well for a 2011 beer but a new draught would have been great.

dennisking said:
Personally I think the draught beer is a lot better than the bottled

Totally agree it's not the same in bottles, far from it. I believe the abv is very different too

phettebs said:
Some were looking for more hop character. There didn't seem to be a lot of hop flavor.

From the same brewery try 'Ghost Ship'. Very bright and hoppy. Lovely IMO ;)

Adams is my local brew and draught broadside is fab! As it's getting closer to Christmas I always loom out for their old ale! one of my favourite brews

Broadside and ghost ship are both cracking beers. They also do a low abv beer (2.7%) called sole star, it's rather tasty also :thumb:

RobWalker said:
yeah, it's a cracking beer I think. Sole Star is awful though, tasteless ****.

Is that the 2.8% one? I am also unimpressed with the southwold bitter, but broadside and ghost ship are very good - anyone tried the explorer?

adomant said:
RobWalker said:
yeah, it's a cracking beer I think. Sole Star is awful though, tasteless ****.

Is that the 2.8% one? I am also unimpressed with the southwold bitter, but broadside and ghost ship are very good - anyone tried the explorer?

yeah. had it on draught too, and it was no good.

Latest posts

Back