Adnams Broadside.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Any fans here?

A first for me last weekend and one i have already replaced ready for this weekend.

Strong Ale - 6.3%

DESCRIPTION

Broadside delivers a cannon of bold fruitcake flavours and a taste that’s endured for nearly 50 years.
First launched in 1972 to mark the tercentenary of the Battle of Sole Bay, this dark ruby red beer has become a showcase for East Anglian malt, First Gold hops and the unique, fruity characteristics of Adnams house yeast.

HOW DOES IT TASTE
Broadside offers bold flavours and aromas of fruitcake, almonds, and that mouth-coating, conserved fruit richness you would expect to find in a strong ale.
With its delicious, lingering Christmas cake characteristics, it is truly a beer to savour.

1650479788288.png

One for you Foxbat how do they get the fruitcake flavour as from the recipes I have seen there is not any crystal or special B. Is it from the yeast they use?

One for you Foxbat how do they get the fruitcake flavour as from the recipes I have seen there is not any crystal or special B. Is it from the yeast they use?
Adnams say it's a characteristic of their dual strain yeast and I have to believe it because like you say there's nothing else unique in there.

I wonder how much Special B to use to get a similar taste. I have just put 135g in a Roggenbier style brew so lets see if I get Fruitcake in that then

I wonder how much Special B to use to get a similar taste. I have just put 135g in a Roggenbier style brew so lets see if I get Fruitcake in that then
Don't know about Special B. "Not much" would be my guess. I guess you've seen this already? Nicked from another thread on here and taken by someone on a brewery tour.
FKYxYzq.jpg

I did a beer years ago and I can not remember which one it was(over 100 brews ago) and I got a fruitcake taste with that but can not for the life of me fathom which one it was. I do know that the only yeast I was using for bitter/Ale styles at that time was the Notty so I can not imagine it coming from that. I will go through my records again and see if anything rings a bell

Now you mentioned that Yeast (Empire)I did use it once I also used London ESB in a bitter with Special B too. I really am scratching my head

funnily enough I’m using this recipe from Graham Wheelers clone book next weekend, I’ve gone with lallemand esb yeast and will ferment highish

Attachments

• 4FD35E8B-6377-430C-BEE4-A303814F00EB.jpeg
    4FD35E8B-6377-430C-BEE4-A303814F00EB.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 35
funnily enough I’m using this recipe from Graham Wheelers clone book next weekend, I’ve gone with lallemand esb yeast and will ferment highish
I don't really equate that OG to the stated abv.
You think one could just use the same grist percentages but up the OG to ~1.060 in order to come closer to the original?

I did a beer years ago and I can not remember which one it was(over 100 brews ago) and I got a fruitcake taste with that but can not for the life of me fathom which one it was. I do know that the only yeast I was using for bitter/Ale styles at that time was the Notty so I can not imagine it coming from that. I will go through my records again and see if anything rings a bell
WLP025 Southwold would, in theory, be the ideal candidate but the first hurdle is that it's a vault strain so is rarely available. The second is that Adnams maintain a ratio of the two strains in their blend, one of which is more aggressive than the other so I wouldn't trust my own ability to grow a pack to the same ratio of strains that Adnams brew with. I'd probably still give it a go though if White Labs would release it again. wink...

Almost certainly it will be from a dark invert sugar.

As for the yeast, it can be harvested from minicasks of beers like Southwold, and some people claim to have even harvested it from their minikegs.

Alternatively, it looks like White Labs and Wyeast have ended up isolating the two halves of the dual strain, so you could mix WLP025 and 1335 together, but yeast are never quite the same once they've gone through the US labs.

Adnams say it's a characteristic of their dual strain yeast and I have to believe it because like you say there's nothing else unique in there.

In Jeff Alworths book, The Secrets of Master Brewers, there's a passage from Adnam's head brewer where he recommendeds experimenting with mixing two yeasts, and mentions using a cleaner belgian yeast.

Mixing the above yeast with a more attenuating, non-phenolic, fruity 'Belgian' one might do the job.

https://fermentis.com/en/product/safale-be-256/

It would certainly fit the previous description of being more aggressive.

Last edited:
Back