Adventures in glucoamylase and my path to cracking Japanese lagers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorst

Reaction score
It all started with a topic on Reddit about Japanese lagers... The topic starter linked to a page and Youtube video with some guys making an absolute mess of a Japanes lager. I never brewed a Japanese lager before but I had to imagine I could do better. It kickstarted me into drafting my own recipe.

I remembered from reading Mark Dredge's A brief history of Lager (Goodreads link) that Japanese lagers use an enzyme that ferments down the beer further than other lagers. Asahi even markets itself a super dry. After some research I decided that the most likely enzyme to use is glucoamylase - most commonly used in distilling. The satchet was pretty cheap and costed about the same as dry yeast.
1639478062511.png

To start drafting I took Asahi super dry as my target beer: 5 percent ABV, IBU 20, SRM 4.

Base assumptions:
- Malt base is rougly 1/3 rice and 2/3 barley (pilsner) as is customary for Japanese lager. Colour is slightly below Asahi spec, so I could use a darker base pilsner or add some grams of melanoidin to compensate for colour. I decided to keep it nice and pale
- Use a neutral yeast (W34/70 is a good choice) x 2pkgs
- Use Sorachi ace for 20 IBU (60 and 10 minute additions). Sorachi Ace hops were grown for Sapporo beer and not Asahi but make an excellent choice for a Japenese lager I feel

So I first drafted a recipe without enzyme usage and trying to maximise fermentability to get a base recipe:

Stats
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity (Adv): 1.004
IBU (Tinseth): 20
BU/GU: 0.46
Colour: 5.5 EBC

Mash
Temperature — 60 °C30 min
Temperature — 70 °C30 min
Temperature — 78 °C1 min

Malts (4.2 kg)
2.8 kg (66.7%) — Weyermann Barke Pilsner — Grain — 3.5 EBC
1.4 kg (33.3%) — Rice, Flaked — Grain — 2 EBC

Hops (23 g)
5 g (9 IBU) — Sorachi Ace 13% — Boil — 60 min
18 g
(11 IBU) — Sorachi Ace 13% — Boil — 10 min

Yeast
2 pkg — Fermentis W-34/70 Saflager Lager 83%

So the next step was to guess what adding the enzyme was going to do to this beer. My assumption was that it would simply make the wort more fermentable and potentially take the beer all the way down to 1.000 FG. That would take the beer from 5.1 ABV to 5.6 ABV. These are quite small margins in my opinion so I decided to not alter the recipe and only make a small adjustment to the mash to accomodate the enzyme.

I added 6 grams (half the satchet) of glucoamylase to the mash. On the instructions it said that you should leave the mash between the optimal temperature range (50C to 60C) for an hour. I decided to alter my mash schedule as follows:

Mash
Temperature — 50 °C15 min
Temperature — 60 °C45 min
Temperature — 70 °C30 min
Temperature — 78 °C1 min

Last Sunday I got to brew this bad boy. It was a pretty relaxed brewday with a longer than ussual mash. Luckily I have a Braumeister brew kettle that allows me to program mashing steps. I tend to get quite reliable results so I dropped measurement after mash and went straight to boil. When I cooled down the wort I was in for a bit of a surprise; the wort ended up at 1.050 instead of 1.043.

The glucoamylase apparently pushed up my normal 76 percent efficiency to a pretty amazing 86 percent efficiency. A bit of an oversight on my end but it makes sense looking back. It's only a good experiment when you learn something right? ;-)

If the beer is indeed as fermentable as I think it is (fermenting down to 1.000 FG) it will end up 0,9 percent higher ABV (6,5 percent). I will keep a close eye on how far down this beer will ferment and if my assumptions on this end are correct.

I'm quite excited to see how this ends up. Does the glucoamylase have impact on the flavour of the beer? Perhaps some other unknown effects? Did I even choose the right enzyme for the job? I fairly confident that I'm on the right track and will just need to tweak down the recipe for my next brew to hit the targeted 5 percent ABV.

I've used glucoamylase in a cream ale, and it didn't have any flavour impact I could detect.

I've used glucoamylase in a cream ale, and it didn't have any flavour impact I could detect.

Interesting - I have a lot of questions haha ;)

1) Did you notice a big jump in mash efficiency as well?
2) A cream ale is supposed to end up between 1.006–1.012 when looking at the style guide. Why choose glucoamylase for this brew?
3) did it end up bone dry (1.000 to 1.002)?

Asahi with Sorachi sounds lovely. I've an affection for really dry lagers from my student days drinking the rarely seen Stella Dry in the Students Union bar. I wonder if they did the same process?

Asahi with Sorachi sounds lovely. I've an affection for really dry lagers from my student days drinking the rarely seen Stella Dry in the Students Union bar. I wonder if they did the same process?

It's more likely that they used an adjunct like flaked maize or even simple sugars for the Stella Dry. I did a quick Google search but it has been out of production for quite a while now.

It does make you wonder why they would not use such an enzyme. It's a really cheap way to get amazing efficiencies.

It's more likely that they used an adjunct like flaked maize or even simple sugars for the Stella Dry. I did a quick Google search but it has been out of production for quite a while now.

It does make you wonder why they would not use such an enzyme. It's a really cheap way to get amazing efficiencies.

It was in the early 90s and I don't think it lasted too long as a uk product. It was stronger than normal Stella at the time, which I think already contained maize. Also 45p a bottle.

Just saw this thread, and thought it looked interesting.
I found this TDS for AMG-Amyloglucosidase (aka glucoamylase) on the Murphy & Son website (see attached pdf) . . . . . And top of the list of the claimed "benefits" is:
  • Increases attenuation and alcohol yield
Please report back on how it goes. I'm really interested to see how far it ferments down.

Attachments

• Amyloglucosidase-Rev-5.pdf
    451.3 KB · Views: 64
I've seen various articles - some suggest adding it during the mash, and some suggest adding it during fermentation. Does anyone know if either of these suggestions influence the outcome in any way?
I don't have the Greg Hughes book . . . . What does he suggest?

I've seen various articles - some suggest adding it during the mash, and some suggest adding it during fermentation. Does anyone know if either of these suggestions influence the outcome in any way?

I'm a bit on two thoughts on this. The instructions on the glucoamylase give a lower temperature limit of 30 degrees C - which is incompatible with lager fermentation temperatures. On the other hand I saw some anecdotal cases of people that say that they throw it into the fermenter and they all claim it works just fine for them. Some use the glucoamylase in both mash AND fermenter.

Adding it just to the fermenter means that you do not have the advantage of the increased extraction efficiency in the mash. That's why, if the final gravity is indeed close to 1.000 I will stick to the mash to introduce the enzyme.

Greg suggests adding during fermentation at 1020 gravity.
Edit: Greg's FG is 1000

I started my first ever Japanese rice beer (Greg Hughes') on 18th November and bottled it last thursday. OG was 1052, I mashed overnight starting at 65C without correcting the temperature after it had stabilised at 65C. Fermented with a massive charge of Lallemand Diamond, which was 250 ml of thick slurry from an earlier brew. By 7th December it had fermented down to 1003 and I bottled it 2 days later still a bit cloudy. No enzyme used this time, but I have a good stock so I'll try it with that later.
It's already crystal clear in the bottles.

1) Did you notice a big jump in mash efficiency as well?
2) A cream ale is supposed to end up between 1.006–1.012 when looking at the style guide. Why choose glucoamylase for this brew?
3) did it end up bone dry (1.000 to 1.002)?

1) I added the enzyme post-fermentation
2) I just wanted something dry and lager-like, and as it had rice and maize in the grist and was fermented with a Kolsch yeast, I classed it as cream ale. It drank like a Bud/Miller/Coors.
3) It finished at 1.000.

Greg Hughes uses it in his Brut IPA and I like Japanese Pilsner so I've just ordered 3 packs of Amalyse from Amazon for £9.35.
I've done a couple of BRUT IPAs now using Amyloglucosidase bought from the Malt Miller. I use it at 1.8ml per 23 litres added at the same time as pitching the yeast.
The first one finished at 1.000 (O.G. 1.036) and the second at 0.999 (O.G. 1.039). Both had about 10% of Flaked Maize and 10% of Flaked Rice in the recipe (which is based on a David Heath video)

Latest posts

Back