Advice on birthday party playlist

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfspark

Reaction score
I've been tasked with creating a music playlist for a birthday party in a couple of weeks time and wondered if anyone could offer tips or advice to ensure the music flows and keeps as many people happy as possible.

So far the playlist is based mainly around 70s/80s/90s/00s dance/up-tempo pop but I've also assembled one or two more recent tracks along with a few 60s, motown, northern soul, reggae and 2 tone/ska tracks.

What is the best way of grouping all of these genres? At the moment I'm thinking of playing 2 or 3 tracks from each decade before having a more niche section such as Motown before going through the decades again and maybe doing another niche etc.

Does this sound like a decent method and are there any tracks that I should consider to be a must-have in the playlist?

You're not going to keep all the people happy all the time if they've got diverse tastes. And if they're reasonable, they won't expect to like everything you play. So if you play what you like, then at least one person's going to have a good time. You plan sounds good. Remember these old records usually lasted 3 minutes max so you'll need quite a few to get 20-30 minutes worth.
Throw in the (very occasional) fun track, a bit of George Formby or something equally daft.
Don't lose too much sleep over it.

Thanks. I know quite a few of the people I expect to be there, I don't think they're a difficult bunch to please and once the drinks start flowing they do like to party so as long as it has a beat it should be ok! I just thought it made sense to keep all the Motown together, the northern soul together etc. and throw those groups in periodically for those that like that stuff.

Back