Advice on Bitter/IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micklupulo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi I am new on here though have been brewing on and off since the 70s starting with the usual Boots/Tom Caxton etc. then all grain in the 90s and now back to a bewildering array of much improved kits after a break of many years. I have done a Woodfordes Wherry on which the yeast stuck , a Coopers Irish Stout and Coopers Real Ale which turned out quite well though the recommended priming level produced too much fizz. I currently have a Mangrove Jack's Pale Ale in the FV. My next project is a slightly stronger English style bitter or IPA to be ready for Christmas and on which a few tips would be welcome. The reviews of the kits are obviously subjective with the same one being variously described as bland or very hoppy so it is difficult to form an opinion. I don't mind paying for a two can kit but get the feeling that the ones that come with hop pellets are designed to emulate U.S. style beers bursting with hops whereas I want a nice balance of malt and hops with a final ABV of approx. 4.8 to 5. I have been wondering about Nelsons Revenge (but not sure about Woodfordes yeast) or a John Bull IPA (which I would do with enhancer and pale malt to a total of 3kg) but am getting conflicting signals about any extra hopping. Views on that point and in general would be welcome.

Latest posts

Back