Advice on Blackcurrant use in sour beers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Scottish Brewster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning another split batch for my sour beers. Last time I made a clementine and passionfruit gose, and a rasberry passionfruit sour. This time I'd like to do something more along the lines of a British summer, think Pimms, Ribena, elderflower cordial and fruit tarts. The two flavour combinations I'm considering the moment are for each 23 litre batch of the base beer which will be bittered with magnum for neutrality, and Philly sour yeast for both:
  • Gose type: Raspberry 2 litre, blackcurrant 1 litre purée
    • corriander seed 20g, Pink salt 11g
    • dry hop with Citra 30g
  • Sour: Blackcurrant 1 litre purée, flower honey 2kg
    • dry hop with Citra 20g (ish) and dried elderflower (not sure how much yet)
My question is around the use of blackcurrant, it is a strong flavour and I don't want it to over power the others, I'm not sure whether to go for a whole litre/kg of purée or to use just half that - any thoughts or experience with these?

Thanks

Anna

I thought I should explain this is for a beer - there is some grain going in there as well!

Equivalent per 23 litres: 2kg Pop's pale ale malt, 1.5kg wheat malt, 400g flaked torrefied oats, and 280g acidulated malt.

I don't have any experience, but I would err on the side of caution. In particular I'd be concerned about the raspberries being overpowered. Good luck, both sound great!

Back