Advice on Bottling from the Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrolhead

Regular.
Reaction score
I have a couple of kegged beers which have finished conditioning and have a couple of mates coming around for dinner tomorrow evening. I would like to serve them some of my beer but don't want the fuss of moving the kegs (going to build a keezer in due course).

Can anyone see a problem if I fill up several bottles this evening with my party tap, crown cap them and pop them in the fridge for tomorrow night?

I could stick some CO2 into the bottle as I do it but for the sake of 24 hours I think that is probably a waste.

Any advice appreciated.

I will be interested in the answers. But have you thought of filling a pitcher of beer when they arrive?

That's pretty much what my local tap room / bottle shop does when you want a can of something they have on draught.

Blast of CO2 into the can, fill from tap, put lid on and seam it. He said it would be okay for a few days at least.

It'll be fine.

That was my second choice Kelper but it is nice to have a few bottles in the fridge.

Thanks Graz

Graz, you've got me thinking. I might buy a small growler that has CO2 injection. Just for me, but it would allow me to bring some in from the shed for a few hours to warm up a bit. I hate ice cold beer!

I can report back. Piece of cake.

I filled one bottle at a time, very low pressure so very little frothing, as the ale was flowing down the side of the bottle I think the air and it’s very little oxygen was being displaced, stood the bottle on end, a little foam and bubbles on top probably displacing the last of the air and popped the cap on. Easy.

It was interesting that, done slowly, the ale didn’t seem to be giving up its CO2 so I hope tomorrow when served it will have plenty of life.

Been a whole new angle on my new kegging experience but a really good one. Kegs don’t mean we don’t have any bottles in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back